Vaginal infections can re-occur many times. It is very important to be prepared to fight against any vaginal infections and not allow them to breed inside you. You can follow a daily regime that helps you keep away from vaginal infections.
Personal hygiene to prevent vaginal infections
Practicing a good female hygiene routine is the foremost essential step to prevent vaginal infections.
- A damp and moist environment creates a breeding ground for many bacteria. While having a shower, wash your vaginal area daily with a mild soap, rinse it properly and pat it dry. The vagina and the area around it should be clean and dry to prevent vaginal infections.
- Every time you urinate or have a bowel movement, make sure to wipe your genitals starting from the front and ending towards the back. This prevents the bacterium E. coli entering your vagina via the rectum.
- Avoid using feminine hygiene products such as perfumed gels, soaps, tampons, vaginal deodorants / sprays or even spermicidal as these can irritate the vagina inviting an infection.
- Avoid douching as it interferes with the normal balance of the organisms already inside the vagina causing bacterial and yeast infections that may also affect other reproductive organs.
- Keep your pubic hair short by trimming it frequently. Make sure not to hurt or scratch your organs.
- Change your sanitary pads often during your periods. Wearing the same pad for hours may cause vaginal infections, itching etc.
Clothes and undergarments to prevent vaginal infections:
- Make a practice of wearing light and loose fitting cotton panties. Cotton keeps your genitals dry by absorbing the moisture and allowing air circulation.
- If you wish to wear pantyhose, make sure to wear a cotton panty underneath it.
- Wearing tight jeans, trousers, panties or pantyhose for extended hours does not allow proper air circulation making it a suitable ground for bacteria to grow and breed.
- Wash your undergarments with a mild detergent and rinse it thoroughly.
- Make sure to dry your undergarments in the sun. Sunlight kills bacteria and fungus.
Precautions in sex to prevent vaginal infections:
- It recommended not using perfumed lubricants, gels or oils to lubricate the vagina. These are believed to invite several vaginal infections.
- Certain spermicidal tablets or gels are also reported to cause vaginal infections. Consult your gynecologist first before using them.
- Using condom is one of the safest ways of preventing vaginal infections that happen due to sexual intercourse.
- Clean and dry your vagina before and after having sex.
- Medication applicators, if used should be washed and cleaned thoroughly before storing them.
- Avoid sex with many partners or use a condom.
- If you are already suffering from a vaginal infection, it is recommended to avoid sex or avoid putting anything inside your vagina until the infection is totally gone.
Diet and drinks to prevent vaginal infections:
- Add Vitamin C rich supplements to your diet. The acidic nature of Vitamin C creates an acidic environment inside the vagina thereby not allowing bacteria and fungi to breed and grow.
- Cranberry juice is good in fighting and preventing vaginal infections.
- Drink lots of water. It purifies the system and drains out bacteria and infections.