Prince Harry and six other high-profile figures have been ordered to pay £9.54 million towards the legal costs of Daily Mail publisher Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) after losing a major privacy case in the UK High Court.
The payment is only an interim amount and must be made by August 28, 2026. Associated Newspapers, which publishes the Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday and MailOnline, has said its total legal costs from the case have exceeded £34 million.

What was Prince Harry’s Daily Mail legal battle about?
The case dates back to 2022, when Prince Harry and a group of well-known public figures accused Associated Newspapers of using unlawful methods to obtain private information for stories. The allegations included phone hacking, interception of private communications, obtaining confidential financial and personal records, and using private investigators to gather information. Associated Newspapers consistently denied the accusations.
The legal battle eventually led to an 11-week trial in London earlier this year.
Who was involved in the case?
Prince Harry was joined in the lawsuit by Sir Elton John, David Furnish, Elizabeth Hurley, actress Sadie Frost, Baroness Doreen Lawrence and former Liberal Democrat MP Sir Simon Hughes. Together, the seven claimants brought a series of allegations against Associated Newspapers relating to articles and information gathered over several years.
What did the court decide?
On July 7, 2026, Mr Justice Nicklin dismissed the claims against Associated Newspapers. The court found that the claimants had failed to prove that the information at the centre of their cases had been obtained unlawfully.
The judge also said serious allegations could not simply be inferred from the circumstances when there remained realistic lawful ways in which journalists could have obtained the information. The financial consequences have now become clearer. On August 21, the High Court ordered the seven claimants to make the £9.54 million interim payment towards ANL’s costs.
Associated Newspapers welcomed the outcome, while Prince Harry and Baroness Lawrence have strongly criticised the earlier judgment. The £9.54 million order may not be the end of the financial dispute, with the publisher seeking to recover substantially higher legal costs from the failed case.