Makeup foundation and concealer are essential makeup tools that help to even out the skin tone, make it smooth and prepare it for the makeup application. Both are different products and should not be mistaken as the same. A concealer works differently from a makeup foundation and serves a different purpose. Let us find out the main differences between a concealer and a makeup foundation.
- A concealer, as the name suggests, is a cosmetic product used to conceal / hide small blemishes, marks, scars and dark spots visible on the skin. Concealers act as temporary makeup solution to hide skin flaws. It works magically when it comes to hide dark circles and blemishes by blending perfectly with the skin making it appear smooth and even.
- A concealer is not meant to be applied all over the face. It is used only to cover spots, pimples and blemishes.
- Concealers are thicker than foundation that makes it an ideal choice for spot treatment.
- They come as stick, liquid and powder forms.
- Concealer when applied to the eyelids offers a perfect base for eye shadow application.
- Concealers are available in all the possible color combinations. One just needs to find the perfect one for her skin tone.
- Concealers as compared to foundations, contain a much higher percentage of pigment. Thus, provide a better coverage on dark spots and blemishes.
- Concealers can be used with or without foundations.
- Choosing the right shade of concealer depends on the shade of the foundation. The concealer should be one shade lighter than the liquid foundation to be used.
- A foundation, as the name suggests, is a cosmetic product that acts like a foundation (basis) for a beautiful face. It helps to achieve an overall balanced skin tone while covering minor blemishes and adds instant glow.
- A foundation is used to cover larger areas and is applied all over the face and neck to enhance the color of the skin and provide a uniform look. It also prepares the face for makeup application.
- They come as emulsions, liquid, cream, powder, waterproof, spray and cream –to- liquid forms.
- One may have to mix different foundation colors and formulations to create the desired effect.
- A foundation can be used individually.
- Choosing the shade of a foundation depends on your skin tone. The foundation color should be close to your natural skin tone.