Dark blood red/burgundy lips became all the rage after being featured on the ramp at the Custo Barcelona Fall 2011 Collection presentation during the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week on February 13, 2011 in New York City.
The trend became popular because dark blood red/burgundy lips are mysterious, sensual, elegant and eye-catching. It can perfectly highlight your pout, and be a great look for both day and night.
How To Create Dark Blood Red/Burgundy Lips
This makeup how-to guide will feature two parts – achieving the dark blood red/burgundy lips, and the eye make up tips that go well with this look. When dark blood red/burgundy lips are going to be the focal point of your face, your eye makeup has to be perfectly executed so that it helps the dark blood red/burgundy lips stand out. Your eye makeup cannot be too heavy if you are wearing dark blood red/burgundy lips, but that does not mean you have to avoid it either.
- Apply a good eye primer all over your eye lids. This will keep your eye shadow from creasing as the hours pass by.
- Next, use a fluffy brush to apply a base color in a natural shade all over the eye lids.
- Now use a blending brush to apply a neutral shade to define the crease. This should be a subtle color that blends in well.
- To make the eyes pop, apply a highlight color under the brow bone.
- Apply a coat of mascara to give your eye makeup the finishing touch.
- And finally, brush the eyebrows in an upward direction so that they look unruly but shapely. Big eyebrows are not only in right now, they also help to frame your face.
- Use concealer to outline the lips. This will help keep your dark blood red burgundy lips within the boundaries of the lips. But it will mainly give your lips more definition.
- Now use a lip liner to form the outline of the lips. Lip liner creates a border for you to color in, and it prevents your lip color from feathering or bleeding. Fill the lips in with the liner itself.
- Next, it’s time to apply your actual lipstick. Your liner and lipstick must match. If you are unable to get two perfectly matching shades, then your lipstick shade should be a little darker than your liner.
Who Should Wear Dark Blood Red/Burgundy Lips
Dark blood red/burgundy lips look good on all skin tones. Of course, there are different shades of dark red and burgundy to choose from. So make sure you find the one that’s right for you.
When to Wear Dark Blood Red/Burgundy Lips
You can wear dark blood red/burgundy lips day or night with casual or formal clothes. It would look great with an elegant ensemble, but would suit a grunge look just as well.