The hair is perfect, the makeup looks stunning and the clothes flawless. But did you give your nails a miss? Neglected nails speak a lot about it’s owner. The simplest fix and arguably the most elegant one is a French manicure famous for it’s white nail tips.
But what if it is too mainstream for you? And rainbow nail art too outrageous? Isn’t there a middle ground? Today we do just that, the best of both worlds – a chic balance of the two extremes.
DIY Nail Art: Bright French Manicure / Colored Tips
You will need
- Nail filer
- Nail buffer
- Transparent nail paint
- Natural pink nail paint or a beige as your overlay.
- Favorite bright color nail paints (Blue, yellow, Violet etc.)
- Scotch tape / Masking tape (Optional)
- Cuticle clipper and orange stick (Optional)
- Scrub and moisturizer (Optional)
- As in case of any art form, for it to come out beautifully, the canvas has to be perfect. Similarly for this nail art, your nails need to be in a possible good state. And it is not much work really.
- Start by rubbing a scrub. If you have the time soak your hands, do so in luke warm soap water for 10 minutes. Moisturize your hands next, paying special attention to nails.
- Push back any cuticles gently with an orange stick. Clip any hangnails with a cuticle clipper but be careful and gentle.
- File the nails to a ‘squoval’ shape. This shape is a cross over of oval and square and looks beautiful and groomed. If no one told you before – please render your metal file redundant, as it splits nails. Choose an emery board file instead.
- Buffer your nails for shine, stepwise, as indicated on your buffer pack. This step is optional though.
Method 1: Without the tape
- Paint your nails with a natural pink color first. Let the coat dry. Apply another coat if you wish the hue to be more saturated.
- Next, pick 2-3 bright hues. Make sure the nail paint is flowy enough to form a thin coat. If the consistency is sticky, add a few drops of the nail paint remover. And rub the bottle between your hands to mix well.
- Opposite to general fears, that the perfect half moon shape is difficult t achieve – It does not need steady or professional hands. Just remember not to paint from side to side. Paint vertically, PATIENTLY, in mini strokes to complete the half moon shape with the bright color.
- Let the coat dry completely and finish with a top coat of clear varnish.
Method 2: With the tape
For those, who still fear spoiling the nail tips.
- Apply scotch tape or masking tip, just leaving your tips exposed. This will serve as guidance.
- Apply the bright color first. Don’t worry about getting paint on the tape. Let this completely dry before removing tape. Or else result will be a smudge.
- Apply a sheer pink or beige nail paint all over the nail.
- Let it dry and apply a clear varnish coat.