Toe rings are small ring(s) worn on/ around the toes. The basic design of toe rings feature a band or ring that hugs around the toe like a ring hugs around the finger. The base may feature a simple ring or a ring with some gemstones, motifs or other structure mounted upon it.
The concept of toe rings seem to be borrowed from India, where these rings carry a lot of social significance and are considered an important accessory worn only by the married women. Toe rings have gained popularity world wide with no social significance attached to it.
Toe rings are worn worldwide by both women and men. The popularity of toe rings also rest on the fact that they are quite inexpensive when compared to other jewelry items.
Toe rings are usually sold in set of two, particularly in India. Some may also be available in the pair of four or eight. In countries, other than India, toe rings may be sold as single pieces.
Position of the toe ring:
The second toe of either or both the feet is regarded as the most appropriate place to wear the ring, as per the Hindu custom and practice in India.
Wearing toe rings
However, the ring is versatile and adjustable enough to be worn on all the toes. Toe rings have a flexible positioning option. The selection depends totally on an individuals taste and choice. Toe rings may also be worn to achieve some desired results, viz, the length of the toes.
The most preferred place is to wear the toe ring just past the padded part of the toe that is just before the joint of the knuckles. Toe rings may also be worn above the center knuckle. This way you may make your tall toes appear smaller.
Toe rings may also be worn at the joint where the knuckle meets the feet. This way you may make your small toes appear longer.
Toe rings may also be worn at the big toe for a completely glamorous look.
Toe ring Designs:
Traditional toe ring designs feature motifs like paisley, flower, buds, leaves, fishes, butterflies, birds etc. Bali and oceanic themes are also abundant.
Modern variants include alphabets, names, cartoons, smileys etc.
Toe ring Materials:
- Toe rings, in India, are made out silver. According to the Hindu belief, gold is the metal of Gods and hence sacred. So, the ornaments meant to be worn below the waist were made strictly in silver or in metals other than gold.
- Also, 24 karat gold is soft and the weight of body may distort the shape too often. Silver or gold plated with silver becomes more of a common choice.
- However, toe rings can be made out of all metals and non-metals that are ductile enough to be crafted in all shapes, sizes as well as designs. The adjustable ones are especially designed this way.
- Sterling silver, white gold, gold, glass, plastic, stainless steel, wood and ivory are a few materials apt for making a toe ring.
- Semi-precious stones, inlays, beads, crystals and gems may be added to the design to make the toe ring more dressy and elegant.
- Magnetic toe rings are also a trendy and novel addition.
An adjustable toe ring:
- Adjustable toe ring moulds to the shape and size of your toes. These toe rings come not in closed circles but in open hoops. They feature a gap at back of the base ring that makes it adjustable. You have to twist and press the base structure and make the ends meet by reducing the gap.
- The toe ring may fetch you flexible fitting as well as positioning option. You may wear a single toe ring at any position on the toes, if it has adjustable fitting option.
- An adjustable toe ring also eliminates all need for getting a customized toe ring, thanks to the flexible fitting option.
- However, constant bending and twisting of the base ring may weaken the strength of the metal.
- The gap on the back of adjustable rings account for great discomfort. The ring may get caught on carpets, socks, saree, sandals etc.
Customized toe rings :
- It’s always good to have a customized piece of toe ring, particularly if you are planning to get an expensive one.
- Determine the size that your toe ring should be. Get measured properly by a jeweler or do it yourself with the help of a small piece of string or a measuring tape.
- Take a piece of string and wrap it around the desired position on the toe and mark the point where the two ends meet. This is the size of your toe.
- Also, decide upon your budget and the style of toe ring that suits your personality, taste as well as the occasion.
- Update your collection with two or three timeless creations.
- Wear toe rings with appropriate outfit and footwear. Anklets are their best companions that make up for a complete look.
- Wear simple, plain and inexpensive ones for casual outings and wear the expensive gemstones and studs to the more dressier occasions.
- Wear metals to casual and semi-casual occasions and non-metals to beaches, gym etc.
Toe ring care:
- Remove toe rings when at home or while sleeping. Avoid wearing them while bathing, gardening, washing etc.
- Prolonged wearing may distort the shape and weaken the base of a toe rings.
- Clean the silver ones with the help of a soft brush and mild detergent.
- You may also dip your silver toe rings in the hot water that you have boiled your potatoes in. Remove the ornament after the water cools down and wash it with a soft brush. This way the silver will shine as if new.
- Cover the sink with a towel while cleaning the ones with expensive gemstones, studs etc.