Hair louse is indeed a frustrating problem for both kids and adults. The problem seems daunting right from the time of contracting these blood sucking parasites on the hair to the actual time when you get rid of hair lice. There is no doubt that lice do not cause any major illness or disease to our body, however, constant itching and irritation can cause a hell lot of chaos for the bearer.
Therefore, it is wise to diagnose the presence of these blood suckers well on time and adopt ways to get rid of hair lice.
Signs of hair lice
Although unlike most of the blood sucking parasites, hair lice are bigger and easily visible through naked eyes. One can detect the infestation of lice by looking for the below mentioned signs.
Lice eggs- These eggs may generally appear like small brown, yellow or sometimes tan colored tiny dots. Lice eggs, better known as nits, are generally laid and then hatched by the mother lice close to the scalp of the person. This is essentially so as the temperature found near the scalp is simply perfect for the eggs to hatch and grow into a fully developed parasite. In case of mild infestation, these nits may be observed on the hair strands as well. Usually, every nit takes around 1-2 weeks to hatch from the time they are laid on the scalp.
Appearance of adult lice- Typically, the size of an adult louse is similar to the size of the sesame seed. Nymphs are better known as the young ones of the adult louse. The lice feed on the blood that is flown to the scalp region of the human. However, these parasites are likely to survive for as long as two weeks even away from the scalp.
Constant scratching- The very first signal of the development of lice on the scalp is unusual scratching caused by their movement through the hair. Further, the secretion of the saliva of these parasites also causes irritation on the scalp, depending upon the sensitivity of the scalp.
Red bumps and rashes- For some kids, emergence of these blood sucking parasites may simply cause bearable itching, however, for a few the infestation may cause rashes and bumps. When the infestation is extreme, constant scratching may lead to the development of rashes and small red bumps. In this extreme condition, the child must be treated with an oral dosage of anti-bacteria to bring a speedy end to the infestation.
Get rid of hair lice
- It is easy to get rid of hair lice when its infestation is mild. Therefore, it is important to detect the same well on time to combat it successfully without any pain.
- A dosage of pediculicide, an over the counter medication for killing the infestation of these parasites is a sure shot way to get rid of hair lace easily. These drugs are easily available in medicinal or drug stores.
- Invest some money to but a quality nit comb which is closely toothed so as to catch the lice as well as nits easily. Usage of a special lice comb is essential to get rid of hair lice as normal combs are thick teethed and do not do the needful to catch these minute parasites. It is better to divide the hair into various sections and keep combing the hair with the lice comb after every frequent interval. This will essentially remove the old as well as newly hatched lice from the hair.
- Use of insecticidal shampoos is also a good way to easily get rid of hair lace. The shampoo must be used in the right quantity within the right interval of time as mentioned in the instructions of the shampoo. With the use of the shampoo, one is expected to combat the lice infestation easily within a week.
- In order to get rid of hair lice completely, one must check on the signs of infestation growing among your family members as well. The person bearing the infestation must avoid sharing towels, clothes and other utilities so as to prevent its further spread.
- Always wash the utilities of the child suffering from lice infestation separately in warm water. Further, vacuum clean carpets, stuffed toys and car seats to eliminate signs of lice, if any, to get rid of hair lice speedily.
Home remedies to get rid of hair lice
- Few drops of oils like lavender, eucalyptus and geranium may be added to the regular hair oil so as to get rid of hair lice effectively. It is recommended to massage the scalp with either of these herbal oils for as long as 30 minutes so as to kill the parasites as well as soothe the scalp. Once you are over with the massage, use a nit comb to remove the dead and newly hatched lice. Next, use the medicated shampoo to kill the remaining lice if any.
- Other than the oils, domestic utilities like vinegar, mayonnaise, Vaseline and tea tree oil may be well massaged onto the scalp to get rid of hair lice effectively.
Facts about lice
- Louse is a nasty and tiny parasite which essentially survives by sucking the blood flown through your scalp.
- It is believed that a female louse is capable of laying 3-5 eggs on an average on a daily basis.
- Lice infestation is indeed contagious and may easily spread from one person to another by simple physical contacts, share of personal utilities like comb, helmets, brushes, hats and so on.
- These parasites are likely to infest on our most beloved pets like cats and dogs. It is believed that they may attack any organism with hair on his body.
- One is more likely to find these parasites hiding out in our stuffed toys, the fluffy carpets and sofas as well.
- They are likely to survive for a period of more than 24 hours without sucking the blood of the humans.
The follow-up of most of the above measures are adequate enough to combat a mild infestation of these parasites. However, in case of extreme attacks, one must visit a dermatologist to kill them.