If you are really bored bearing the same mundane look every time you look at the mirror, its time to change and prepare yourself for some experiments. Highlight is today one of the best means to sport a drastic change that not only makes you look elegant but also saves you from the hassles of bleach and every day blow drying.
Highlight hair is a sure shot way to dramatize and enliven your look. The process is both done at salons, hair treatment clinics as well as at the comfort of your home. Fortunately, highlight renders head turning effects to your locks without causing any significant damages of sorts, as observed in other hair care treatments like bleaching. Since in the treatment of highlight hair only certain strands are colored, the chances of hair damages like breakage, brittleness and dryness are considerably reduced.
There are no second thoughts about the fact that highlight hair is an expensive treatment, fortunately one may choose to perform the treatment of highlight right at home. All you need is to read this write-up and note down the steps on “how to highlight hair”.
How to highlight hair
Before you get started with the procedure to highlight hair, there are certain requisites you need to perform the treatment.
- Before you start to highlight hair, think of the varied shades that you have liked so far. You may look at the pictures of various celebrities to get a clue on some of the most popular colors that are used to highlight. Shortlist at least three shades and note them down.
- Now, think of your skin’s color tone and then choose the shade accordingly. Make sure that the color you pick to highlight hair complements the tone of your skin.
- To help yourself make better choice in picking the right highlight shade, use the means of Photoshop to see the effect of varied colors on your skin.
- Another important step in this guide on how to highlight hair is to choose the destination where you would like to avail the treatment. If you are novice to the highlight treatment, go for a professional’s help at the nearby salon. However, for making this choice to get the highlight effect, be ready to shelve out a lump-some.
- If you want to avail the treatment at home, read the below mentioned steps on how to highlight hair.
- It is recommended to seek the professional’s help to learn if the highlight procedure is appropriate for usage among expecting mothers.
Prepare to highlight hair
- Before simply jumping over to the “how to highlight hair” part, make sure to collect the following requisites that you need to perform the procedure.
- The tools and necessities used to highlight hair are glass / plastic bowl, hair dye, conditioner, gloves and a wide toothed comb.
- Further, make sure to buy hair dyes manufactured by known and reliable brands only to highlight hair.
- Make sure to bear well cleansed and shampooed hair before you proceed further with the procedure of how to highlight hair. This is highly recommended so as to remove even the slightest of traces of other hair care products and thus make your strands more receptive towards the highlight dye.
- In your first usage, it is recommended to choose only those shades which are one or two tones lighter than your natural hair.
- Further make sure to apply the dye you have prepared to highlight hair on your skin to test for any allergic reaction. If there are no significant changes in your skin, in form of rashes or redness, consider it safe for further application and highlight.
How to highlight hair- Method
- As recommended by many experts in several guides on how to highlight hair, brush is one of the easiest to use tool for performing this hair treatment. Further note that this tool may be used to highlight both long and short hair.
- Next, since the highlight process can be messy, choose a dry and clean area in your bathroom to perform the treatment. Dress up in old clothes as the chances of the dye spilling over your clothes are likely and wear your rubber or plastic gloves.
- Next, part your hair into several sections, so that all the sections are carefully covered while dying.
- Mix the ingredients of the dye in a clean plastic bowl and start the application of the same from the back of your hair first. Beginning from the back of the head, proceed towards the front.
- For more subtle effect, most of the guides on how to highlight hair suggest to apply the mixture in form of thin streaks. For more chunky look or highlights, apply in thick quantity in larger strands.
- Leave the mixture on your for the recommended time period (mentioned in the instructions). In the mean time, take wipes or moist cotton to get rid of the dye, if mistakenly smeared on the skin. Remember never leave the dye on your hair longer than the recommended time period.
How to highlight hair using foils
Using foils to highlight hair is yet another popular method. In this method, thin strips of foil are cut and used to separate the hairs strands into various sections. Apart from the usage of foil strips, the rest of the method is the same as mentioned above. Nevertheless the availability of tremendous guides on how to highlight hair, foil method is considered a risky and complicated method in comparison to the simple brush method.
How to highlight hair naturally
The usage of chemicals in the dye for highlight can be big concern for many. In this case, many people look for natural ways to ensure change of hair color without incurring any significant damages.
How to highlight hair with Lemon juice
Just squeeze a few drops of lemon juice from a fresh lemon and collect the same in a bowl. Next, divide the hair into sections and apply the juice over selected hair regions. Leave the hair open and sit under the sun. People with brown hair are most likely to witness the change of their hair color into orange.
These were some of the most simple, home based methods on how to highlight hair.