What we love about fashion and makeup is the way it can transform how you look from drab to gorgeous within seconds. One sure shot way of doing it is having smoky eyes. Not only is this trend ruling hot the world over, it is predicted to be big for Fall/Winter 2012 too!
The best part of the smoky eye makeup is how easy it is to achieve and how quickly can it be done.
Step by step guide for achieving the Smoky Eye Makeup
- Begin by getting your face makeup ready – wash well to remove all traces of makeup, dust and grime and oil. Dab it dry.
- Apply foundation all over your face, ensuring it covers your eye lids, and area around the brows. Take care that the foundation is applied uniformly all over the face, leaving no traces of any extras or smudges.
- If you have any problem areas around the eyes, such as a scar or a mark, apply a concealer to have the same covered well.
- With the base set, start by choosing your smoky eye makeup colors. The most common is black, but you could choose to be more experimental and play around with neutrals such as greys, bronzes, shimmery and matt gold, browns with hints of black. For the fearless, colors which are predicted to be hot for the season are also great choice as these are surely where you can play around and be unique.
- With the base ready, you now need to start your eye makeup. Start with using kohl or an eyeliner on the upper eye lash. Use steady and strong brush strokes from the inner eye to the outer. The smoky eye makeup usually looks great with thicker lines and opts for the same in the color story that you are trying to create.
- Repeat with the lower eye lid. Using tonally lighter or darker shades of kohl / eye liner on the upper and lower eye lid is another trend makeup artist’s play around with to create interesting looks.
- Next comes the smoky effect on the eye lids. Using the eye shadow shades you had chosen earlier, dab on a denser coat on the inside of the eye, smoothing out to be just a trace, as you move out to the outer corners of the eye, giving a smoky look. Using a brush would help, although amateurs also use fingers for better control. Ensure that the application is smooth to ensure a non smudgy-made up look. The trick to having a good smoky eye look is to make it look natural and effortless.
- Repeat with the other eye. Brush off any excess from around the eye.
- Complete your balance facial makeup.
Dos and Don’ts
- Usually with heavy smoky eyes, the colors on your cheeks and lips should be very light bordering on nude, making your smoky eyes the center of attraction.
- You could opt to use mascara to highlight the lashes, but this is completely optional.
- Eyebrow pencil to highlight you brows will look great too.
- Variations in thickness of application of eyeliner or kohl on the eye lids, with the stroke being thinner on the inside and becoming broader as you reach the outer eye, can be experimented with too as they are sure to make you stand out.
- Last but not the least, uniformity , uniformity and uniformity are the three key words you need to take care of to achieve the Fall/Winter 2012 hottest makeup trend of Smoky eyes.