A trend that is fast catching on in the make-up circuits is that of bleached eyebrows. To say that the trend has suddenly surfaced would be wrong as last year the always in the news and unconventional Lady Gaga appeared with the bleached eyebrow look on the cover of the magazine Rolling Stone.
How to bleach your eyebrows and tips to get it right!
The eyebrows are easily the trickiest part to bleach , primarily due to their proximity to the eyes. Also, may be because they are usually not noticed unless they are missing o there is something which is amiss with them. Utmost care needs to be taken while getting the bleached eyebrow look. These tips and how-to steps will help.
- Ensure that the shape of the brows are what you want them to be, while bleaching makes them appear invisible, the eye brow hair may tend to stand out, if not in the right shape. Avoid bleaching immediately after a threading session as the skin may be sensitive.
- Also check for any cuts/ nicks/scratches as any of these on your brows may irritate the skin on application of the bleach.
- Wash your face thoroughly and completely wipe the eyebrows dry of any moisture.
- Using an eyebrow comb of a mascara wand, ensure that the hair of the eyebrows are in the right direction and spread out for better coverage of the bleach.
- To bleach, you could use the tried and tested facial hair bleaching cream or make a solution of peroxide. Facial bleaching creams need to be usually applied for a longer period of time as the brow hair is usually thicker and coarser than facial hair. The glamcheck team strongly recommends to do a skin patch test and follow the instructions on the bleaching cream before applying the cream on the brows to avoid skin injuries and rashes.
- Slowly start applying the bleach with the mascara wand or a fine brush, from inner corner of the eyebrow to the outer, ensuring that the wand carefully combs and covers each and every hair from the root to the tips.
- Leave the cream on for the desired time( this may take anywhere between 2 minutes to 10 or more, depending upon your hair thickness and the bleached effect / colour you want to achieve), checking periodically to ensure that the desired effect is achieved, and wipe with a clean moist damp cloth.
- Wash thoroughly with a mild face wash and water to remove all traces of the bleach.
Dos and Don’ts
For first timers and the weak hearted who are unsure of whether the look will work for them or not, gently tweak your eyebrows into the required shape and apply facial powder on your eyebrows to first get a glimpse of how Semi bleached eyebrows really look on you. Do not go in for complete eyebrow removal, this could completely mar the facial expressions and the eyebrows when growing back, may make you look like an alien.
The bleached eye brow look usually works for strong featured, high cheek boned faces. This may not be very suitable for soft featured round, oval or long faces.
How to achieve bleached eyebrows through Makeup
The option of getting bleached eyebrows through make up is a great one, especially if you do not want a long lasting bleached look. There could be two ways to achieve this look.
You may apply foundation to you entire face including the brows, almost masking them. Using eyebrow pencils in golden or very light brown over the foundation can also help. The make up around the eye needs to be tonal to the foundation applied so as to get an evenness all over. Once this is done, proceed with the overall facial make up as you would normally do. A sure shot winner would be to keep the rest of the colours on your makeup relatively simple and earthy so as to keep the attention to your faux bleached eyebrows!
Another way of masking your eyebrows with make up, to achieve the bleached eyebrows look is by applying a thin layer of translucent facial powder and then lightening the eyebrows by using pencils which are tonally lighter than your natural eyebrow colour. In this case, unlike the above, you could use a different eye shadow colour and heavy kohl to bring attention to the difference in your brow colour and the eye makeup color.
You may hate it, love it or decide to just leave it, you can simply not ignore the Fall / winter 12 makeup trend of bleached eyebrows. Do write in and let us know if you would try the bleached eyebrow look this winters?