Winter season is not only about shivering, wearing warm clothes, and feeling dull. It is also an alarm that your skin and body needs some extra care to prevent it from the cold winds that harms it.
Follow a daily winter care routine to maintain a healthy skin throughout the season.
For your skin:
1) Before having a shower, massage your body well with coconut oil to heal dryness or chaps.
2) Add a few drops of body oil, almond or jojoba oil, into the water that you use to bath. This helps retain body moisture that gets lost while bathing. This may also relax and soothe your body. Avoid using very hot water.
3) After bathing, gently pat yourself dry with a soft towel. Avoid rubbing it too hard on the skin as it can damage the skin and cause rashes.
4) In winters, skin needs lot of hydration, so, apply an oil based moisturizing lotion throughout your body just after bath. It is good to apply lotion on a moist skin as it allows deeper penetration into the skin.
5) Avoid direct contact of your winter clothing with the skin.
6) A proper and nutritious diet helps to rejuvenate the skin from within. Drink a lot of water and eat a lot of fruits.
For your Lips:
1) Cold and chilling winds take away the moisture from the lips leaving them dry. Apply a lip balm or petroleum jelly to protect your lips from the chilling weather.
2) Before going to bed, apply some warm ghee or butter over your lips. These are effective in curing chapped and dry lips and makes your lips soft naturally.
3) Avoid licking your lips too often.
For your Hair:
1) Cold weather drys out your hair, so it is essential to take care of your hair. Treat your hair with oil massage at-least once or twice a week. Olive oil is effective in reinforcing moisture to your hair.
2) Apply warm olive oil gently to your hair roots and then throughout the length of your hair. Gently massage it for about 10-15 minutes. Soak a towel in warm water and squeeze it well. After the massage is over, wrap the towel around your hair and leave for another 5 minutes. The steam allows a deeper penetration of oil to the hair roots.
3) After 2-3 hours, wash your hair properly with shampoo. Rinse it twice or thrice. Apply a deep conditioner.
4) Wrap towel around your hair. Avoid rubbing the towel too hard on your hair. This will cause the hair fall.
5) Let your hair dry naturally. Avoid blow dry. Make sure you don’t bring the dryer too close to the hair and scalp as it may dry out the scalp and cause irritation.
6) Cover your hair properly before stepping out of the house. Avoid direct contact of winter clothing to your hair as well. Cover your hair first with a silk scarf and then put on your woollen hats or stoles.