An itching scalp is a definite source of embarrassment. It is one of the most irritating problems that we can face in our regular life. Here, I should mention that it is not only women, but men too who face this problem.
If you are also facing the same problem then fear not, because you can cure a scalp that feels too itchy. All it will take are a few do’s and don’ts and some remedies, and you can bid a bye to the itching scalp. But, in order to do so, you need to first know every small aspect of this affliction, including its causes and wide variety of treatment options available.
What causes Itching Scalp
Let’s first focus on some of the main causes that lead to an itching scalp. Even a few years back, problems like itching scalp were seen usually among the elderly people but with the changing time and environment this problem now can be seen in the adolescents too. Mostly an itchy scalp occurs to those people who have an extremely dry skin and this is common among the elderly people. However, dry skin is not the sole factor that causes an itchy scalp; there are plenty of other reasons that can cause this affliction.
It may surprise you, but the sun is also a major contributor of an itching scalp. The dangerous ultra violet rays of the sun destroy the DNA and starts generating dead cells. This ultimately results in problems like itching scalp. Moreover, under the sun we tend to sweat a lot which makes the whole scenario worse. This sweat affects the dead cells and triggers off a more acute itchiness.
One of the most common causes of an itchy scalp is dandruff. If you are facing problems like dandruff then you will often find dead skin flakes on your scalp. In normal cases, we tend to shed a certain rate of dead cells for a particular period of time but things can get out of control when this dead skin is visible on our scalp permanently. Dandruff is caused by factors like fungi, over-exposure to the sun etc and these in turn can cause problems like itching scalp.
Psoriasis is considered to be one of the forefront reasons that causes chronic scalp itching. A person affected by psoriasis can face problems like itching scalp as well as body itch. The root cause of this affliction is highly controversial, as some researchers state that it is caused by a weak immune system, whereas others blames it on over-production of skin cells.
Another factor that causes itching scalp is seborrheic dermatitis. The indication of this condition seems to be very close to that of dandruff but the causes of both of these afflictions are very different. These conditions not only affect the scalp but they even badly affect the entire face and also the chest. Lack of vitamin B and too much of existence of sweat glands can also cause this particular problem and ultimately it will result in itching scalp.
Other Medical Causes
Some of the other medical causes of itching scalp are Tinea Capitis, Acne Vulgaris, Lichen Planus, Eczema etc. Tinea Capitis is again a disorder caused by fungus. Here, the scalp and the hair get badly damaged and the scalp becomes red, which results in itching. In case of Acne Vulgaris the bacteria as well as the dead cells lock the sebaceous gland completely, thus causing swollen cells which lead to itching scalp. Lichen Planus is a very common reason that causes itching scalp, this is again one type of fungus that badly affects the scalp. Eczema is yet another medical reason that causes itchiness.
Other than the above medical causes there are many more day to day factors that can cause an itching scalp.
Poor Hygiene and Wrong Hair Products
This includes improper cleaning of hair. Poor hygiene can also result in an itching scalp as dirty substance gets built up and stored on the scalp which triggers itching. Using wrong styling products can infect your scalp and can cause allergy which may give rise to itching. Often popular hair cleaning products like shampoo can also be the cause for scalp itchiness. The presence of ingredients like sodium laureth sulphate in shampoo can completely damage your scalp, and cause itchiness.
Too much of pollution also leads to scalp itchiness. Car fumes, industrial fumes and the increasing rate of pollution not only damage the skin and hair but also give rise to scalp itchiness.
Our food habits play a major role in our daily life. Whatever we eat directly affects our body from inside as well as from outside. So in case of an itching scalp also, a major role is played by our food habits. If our daily diet includes food that contains high concentrated acidic products then it can directly affect our scalp and increase itchiness. Moreover, if we consume a lot of sugar in our daily diet, that too can also worsen the itchy feeling. Junk food is one of the biggest enemies of an itching scalp. So we must pay attention to our daily diet. In order to get rid of an itching scalp we must drink a lot of water, as water keeps the body hydrated and helps in reducing the itchiness.
Remedies for Itching Scalp
Now let us check out some of the best remedies and treatments of an itching scalp.
Home Made Remedies
Home-made remedies have worked magically when it comes to skin and hair. Home-made treatments are not only natural but at the same time can be more effective too. Always remember, natural treatments are not only effective but at the same time they are long lasting too. So, let us check out some of the proven home remedies that can cure an itching scalp.
- To begin with, take a cup and put some birch leaves in it. Add one cup of boiling water to it and then keep it for ten minutes and after that just strain it. Now all you need to do is simply massage this mixture on your scalp for a few minutes. Do not wash your hair; instead just dry it with a towel.
- You can also try out rosemary oil, here just take a small cup and add warm water then put 2 to 3 drops of rosemary oil and apply this to the scalp. In this case too, do not wash the hair after following this procedure.
- Some of the other home remedies for itching scalp are, first dip oatmeal in water and then strain the water in a cup and in that add four to five drops of rosemary oil. You can also add lavender oil to this. Apply this mixture on your scalp and massage it for nearly ten minutes. You can even prepare a mixture of rosemary and chamomile tea and apply it in your scalp.
- You can also apply good yet raw herbal organic tea on the scalp, but apply the tea once it has cooled down. You can also make a mixture of witch hazel and mouthwash, taken in the same quantity and apply it to the scalp with a brush.
- The use of aloe vera is yet another good herbal treatment for an itching scalp; here you just need to rub the leaf of aloe vera on your scalp.
- You can use the mixture of tea tree and water on your scalp; this will reduce your itchiness.
- You must oil your hair regularly, as it won’t let your scalp go dry and you don’t have to face scalp itchiness. Some of the best natural oils that are very good for the scalp are neem (Azadirachta indica) oil, rosemary oil, lemon oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil and many more.
- Ancient Ayurvedic treatments have proven their long lasting effect on various skin and hair related problems. Ayurvedic remedies not only cure most types of hair and skin related problems by treating the root cause but at the same time they help to fight back the problem in the future. As a result, you don’t have to face the problem again. One of the oldest ayurvedic treatments of itching scalp is Slippery Elm.
There are long and never ending lists of some of the most effective home-made remedies for an itching scalp. If you are looking for such a remedy which doesn’t have any side effects then these home-made remedies are a good option for you. But for those of you who cannot devote so much of your precious time on this home-made treatment, don’t give up yet!
You can surely opt for the various anti-dandruff shampoos and oils, which are easily available in the market, and will remove the dandruff and reduce the itching scalp problem.
You must also take care to wash your hair regularly in order to avoid the accumulation of itch triggering dirt. Also you can apply various effective oil products too.
If things are still beyond your control then you must consult a medical supervisor. Neglecting problems like an itching scalp can aggravate the condition further, so before it is too late try out the various remedies that will cure your problem. If you want a healthy and itch-free scalp then take care to eat well and maintain a healthy life-style.