Oily skin care can be quite a tiresome task, especially after when the oil glands simply refuse to secrete the unwanted oil that makes your skin overtly shiny all through the day. Apart from the oily look, people with this kind of skin tone often reel with other skin problems like enlarged pores, acne and coarse look.
If the oodles of extra oil on your skin that renders you permanent greasy look irritates you beyond description, then here are some of the most useful tips to take care of your oily skin.
What is Oily skin?
Oily skin is often the result of hyperactivity of the sebaceous glands responsible for secreting oil into the skin. People with this kind of skin tone have the characteristic shiny and greasy look. Typically, people born with oily skin have oil accumulation on the nose, cheek, chin, back of the shoulders, and central region of the chest. The oil accumulation among people with oily skin tone is often observed at the onset of the teenage.
Causes of oily skin
- Hormonal imbalances- Changes in the hormonal structures especially during the onset of adolescence is one of the biggest blamable causes of excessive oil accumulation on the skin. Therefore, emergence of the oily skin tone is mostly observed during the teenage years.
- Pregnancy- As per the doctors, pregnancy leads to numerous hormonal changes in the body. The biggest manifestation of these chemical changes in the body is the emergence of oily skin.
- Menopause- This period is also marked by excessive hormonal imbalances in the body. Therefore, women reeling under this stage experience skin problems caused by oil accumulation. Some of the most common skin problems observed during this stage are acne, enlarged pores and coarse skin.
- Oily diet- Lack of balanced diet or excessive intake of oily food further stimulate the oil glands under the skin to release excessive oil. This makes the skin oily.
- Birth control pills- Intake and sometimes immediate stop of estrogen pills are also known to cause hormonal changes in the body. These further lead to uncontrollable production of oil which results into the accumulation of oil.
- Excessive use of cosmetics
- Humid weather
- Heredity- Apart from the above factors, heredity is known to be the biggest culprit of oily skin as these people are predisposed towards this skin tone due to their genetic construction.
Oily skin care
As per the experts, simple cleansing of the skin on a regular basis will do no good for your oily skin care. You will have to take those extra measures that essentially work towards controlling the excessive release of oil from the oil glands.
Tips for oily skin care
- For the oily skin care, always cleanse the face at least twice or thrice in the day. It is better to use soap free face wash that gently cleans your face without adding much to the stock of oil on your skin.
- It is advisable to take bathe in lukewarm rather than steaming hot water for the oily skin care. It is believed that hot water is liable to rob your oily skin off the requisite oil content and make it extremely dry.
- In search for an oil free cleanser for your oil skin care regimen, strictly avoid using those soaps that overtly dries your skin.
- Always use non-oily sunscreens and noncomedogenic moisturizes that don’t clog your pores and make your skin oily.
- In case of uncontrollable oil production, drugs rich in retinoids must be used. However, the drug must be used under proper supervision of the dermatologist.
- Stay away from products that cause hormonal changes such as birth control pills and oily food.
Natural products for oily skin care
Milk and lemon
Add a few drops of lemon to a tablespoon of milk and keep stirring the mixture until it appears like a curd. Apply the mixture on the face and leave it on till it dries. The mixture, as per the experts is essential for natural oily skin care as it softly cleanses the skin and makes it look supple.
Cucumber and lemon
Grated cucumber must be added to lemon drops and gently massaged on the oily skin as part of the oily skin care regimen. Let the mixture dry and then wash it off using lukewarm water.
The application of the mixture will render the rejuvenating effect of cucumber and cleansing effect of lemon to your oily skin. The mixture is super easy to make and hence can be applied on a daily or alternate basis.
Turmeric and gram flour
Half teaspoon of turmeric must be added to fifteen teaspoons of gram flour. For making it a paste, 10-15 drops of almond oil must be added. Apply a thick layer of the same on the oily face as a part of your oily skin care regimen.
This natural treatment is likely to make your skin silky smooth and clean. The flour further helps in gently plucking the unwanted facial hair on the face.
Diet for oily skin care
The diet for the oily skin care essentially contains proteins and carbohydrates. Plenty of leafy vegetables and fruits must be essential part of your diet for the oily skin. Food rich in requisite vitamins, minerals and iron keeps the oil glands under control and prevent excessive accumulation of oil.
It is believed that deficiency of certain vitamins like Vitamin B 2 may stimulate the oil glands to produce excessive oil on the skin surface. Sources of this vitamin are beans, nuts, jelly and whole grain. Further, intake of at least eight ounces of water work as great intoxicant for your body ridding it away from unwanted bacterial accumulations.
Herbs for oily skin care
Apart from the above products for the oily skin care, herbs like lavender, Burdock root, horsetail, chamomile, thyme and oat straw essentially nourish deep layers of the skin without causing excessive oil accumulation.
There is no doubt that care for the oily skin demands some extra measures and steps. However, the follow-up of the above mentioned ways do result into the effective control over the oil glands on the skin.