Normally, every woman experiences her menstruation after a span of twenty three to twenty four days. However, in some cases, women may undergo mild spotting after period which may be anywhere between the hues of light red to dark-brownish-red. Every period is significant of the end and at the same time, commencement of a new reproductive cycle. Spotting after period can leave every woman in a tizzy, wondering what is wrong with her body. Mild anxiety among women is justified as the condition must not be taken lightly and be immediately reported to the health care practitioner.
Abnormal spotting, after the completion of menstrual cycle is indicative that the uterus is pushing the stream of old blood out of the body which for some reasons it could not get rid-off during the normal period cycle. In normal cases, the spotting is only mild and detected when a woman cleans or wipes. The color of the blood may be mild red or darkish brown, in rare cases. As per doctors, if the spotting discontinues after a day or so, there is no serious cause for concern. However, if a woman is experiencing the same after the end of every cycle, immediate medical interventions must be sought.
When To Seek Medical Intervention!
A woman must bring the matter to the knowledge of the doctor when:
- She experiences bright red colored spotting after her periods.
- She experiences mild to extreme pelvic pain at the time of spotting.
- She experiences spotting soon after indulging into an unprotected sex.
- Spotting during ovulation days.
Possible Reasons For Abnormal Spotting After Period
- One of major causes of experiencing abnormal spotting after period is the incapacity of the uterus to expel the entire stream of blood out of vagina during the menstrual cycle.
- Another possible reason for this condition is the extreme hormonal imbalances during / after sexual intimacy or at the time of puberty.
- A woman who takes medications like birth control pills or estrogen supplements is likely to spot occasionally.
- Health conditions like diabetes, thyroid, cancer etc could be other causes of unusual spotting after periods.
- Presence of a uterine cyst is detected as another potent reason for the condition.
Besides above causes, medical conditions like pregnancy, miscarriage, abortion, ovulation, menopause, ectopic pregnancy and more could be other blamable factors for causing spotting after periods.
Diagnostic Tests To Detect Abnormal Vaginal Spotting
- Pelvic ultrasound is the first test conducted on women complaining of spotting. Through this test, the doctor checks for the presence of cervical polyps.
- Pregnancy tests.
- Pap smear test to detect the progression of cervical cancer.
- Blood count test.
- Thyroid and liver tests.
- A blood test to detect the progesterone level in the body.
Treatment / Remedies
The treatment prescribed for spotting after period is decided only once the cause of the condition is detected.
- If a woman is detected with low level of progesterone, she is given progesterone supplements.
- If any of the conditions like thyroid, blood clotting or liver malfunctions are detected, she is given medications meant for the treatment of the same.
- If the cause is the development of polyps or cysts, she may undergo a surgical treatment to eliminate them.
- If an infection is detected as the probable cause of spotting after period, she is administered antibiotics for the same.
- In case the bleeding is due to miscarriage, she may undergo a surgical procedure called dilation and curettage.
- In case progesterone medications fail to curb the condition, she may undergo a medical procedure called hysterectomy.