Blackheads are the ugly noticeable bumps that protrude from or grow in masses underneath the skin. These are usually spotted on the area around the nose, the forehead and the chin. These are one of the most common skin problems faced by many men and women.
Why do blackheads occur?
- Blackheads occur mostly on oily skin. The excess oil secretion expands and thickens the pores of the skin where the oil accumulates blocking the pores and hardens into a plug . On contact with air they turn black.
- Whitehead is similar to blackheads. It is a follicle that is filled with sebum having a microscopic opening to the surface of the skin that does not allows air to reach the follicle, preventing the material from being oxidized, and remains thus, white.
- Blackheads also occur when one does not follow a proper skin cleansing routine. This allows the oil to accumulate in the pores causing blackheads.
- Blackheads occur more frequently to those who do not drink adequate amount of water. Water detoxifies the skin making it look clean and fresh from within.
- Some medical problems such as anaemia, constipation, thyroid etc are other factors responsible for the growth of blackheads.
- Excess scrubbing of the skin with harsh chemicals and scrubbers irritates the skin causing more problems.
Sites of blackheads occurrence
Blackheads usually occur on the sides of the nostrils, tip of the nose, on the chin, cheek and the forehead. They also appear on the body areas rich in sebaceous glands such as the neck, chest and back. If left unattended, blackheads make the skin vulnerable to further infection, whiteheads and acne.
There are many ways you can get rid of blackheads. Special tools, methods and products are available that help you get rid of blackheads. Always keep in mind that tweezing blackheads with you fingers or nails will invite more problems rather than treating it. You should therefore always avoid it. Below we have discussed some cosmetic solutions as well as home remedies that will help you to achieve a flawless skin with no blackheads at all.
Cosmetic solutions for removing blackheads
There are many cosmetic products such as creams, lotions and blackhead extractors available in the market that you can choose from.
1. Blackhead removers / Blackhead extractors:
These are special tools designed to remove the blackheads. They have small loops on both the tips. The loop is placed over the area of the skin where blackhead exists and pressed down gently. This process causes the skin around the blackhead to contract, loosening the blackheads.
2. Pore refining strips / blackhead remover strips:
Blackhead removal strips are special strips designed to loosen the blackheads. Wet the strip and place it onto the skin where blackheads exist allowing it to set there for 20 minutes. The blackheads cling to the surface of the strip which can be seen after removing the strips. It works by using circular pressure to the areas directly surrounding the blackhead, thus, pushing the blackheads.
3. Beta hydroxyl acid (Salicylic acid) :
Is a good exfoliator that helps the dead skin cells to fall off easily thus, opening the pores. Applying salicylic acid on a regular basis helps to get rid of blackheads.
Home remedies for removing blackheads
This is one of the easiest and fastest ways of removing those unwanted blackheads. Follow a weekly face cleansing regime. Below are a few steps:
Things you need:
- Cleansing milk
- Massage cream
- Face scrubber
- Blackheads removal tool
- Clean you face with a cleansing milk to remove any traces of dust and pollution.
- Massage your face and neck area gently by using a face massage cream. Keep massaging for at-least 20-25 minutes.
- Once you are done with the massage, take scrubber in your hand and gently massage your face and neck area. Avoid harsh strokes as it may damage your skin. Massage with the scrubber for 2-3 minutes.
- Warm some water in a wide and open vessel. Bring your face near the vessel and allow the steam to open up the pores of your skin.
- Now, use a blackhead removal tool and gently rub against the skin to scrap off the blackheads. The blackhead will come off easily as the steam opens up the pores loosening the blackheads.
- Once you have removed all the blackheads, wash your face and apply a face mask to complete the entire process.
2. Face masks and pastes:
You can prepare some easy face masks at home that helps you to get rid of the blackheads. There are many herbs that are very useful for the skin.
- Coriander leaves: Mix 1 teaspoon of coriander leaves juice with a half teaspoon of turmeric powder and make a paste. Apply this paste onto the skin area having blackheads and leave it for the night. Wash the pack next morning with cold water. This leaves your skin fresh and removes the blackheads.
- Curd and rice flour: These make a good scrub. Make a paste by mixing 1 teaspoon of curd and rice flour and apply it on the blackhead affected area. Allow the paste to dry and then wash your face with cold water.
- Curd and black pepper: Make a thick paste one table spoon black pepper and curd and apply the paste over the blackhead affected area and allow it to dry for 10 minutes. Once the paste has dried, wash your face with cold water.
- Honey: Honey acts as a natural peel. Apply warm honey on the blackhead affected area and wash it after 15 minutes. It peels off the blackheads making your skin glow.
- Lemon Juice: Apply lemon juice directly onto the blackhead effected areas. Lemon juice removes the blackheads by tightening the pores.
- Grapes pulp: Apply grapes pulp on the blackhead affected area and allow it to dry for 10-15 minutes and then wash your face with warm water. This is also one of the most effective blackhead removal techniques.
- Boric acid: Mix a half tablespoon of boric acid powder with one and a half cup of hot water and apply it to the blackhead affected area. This removes the blackheads.
2. Daily routine:
Face clean up: Besides following up the various remedies, it is very important to take care of your skin on the very first place to avoid the formation of blackheads. Blackheads form on the regions where the oil secretion is more. Make sure to keep your face clean all the day long. Wash your face 3-6 times a day using a mild face wash.
Drink water: Drink at-least 15-20 glasses of water daily to maintain a healthy and blackheads free skin. Water detoxifies your skin and removes the excess oil and sebum. Thus, preventing the formation of blackheads.
Food: Eat lots of green vegetables and fruits rich in vitamins. Citrus fruits and vegetables are good to prevent blackheads. Avoid eating too much junky food. Excess oil in food is not good for the skin.
Makeup: Always use branded cosmetic products. Remove your makeup with a makeup remover before retiring to bed. If you leave the makeup on the skin, it blocks the pores not allowing the skin to breath properly thus accumulating oil and sebum causing blackheads.
Follow the above mentioned tips and routine to keep your skin looking clean and clear.