Flawless skin is the key to a beautiful face. To have skin that looks like it was run through Photoshop, is a dream for many women. So unless you are blessed with naturally flawless skin, makeup primer is the answer to all these questions. A makeup primer is a base that prepares your skin and smoothens it out for the makeup. This gel like substance fills your pores and evens out the lines on the skin. As a result of which, the application of the follow up make up becomes very smooth and makeup does not cake on it. It acts as a protective layer for the skin. Acne spots, enlarged pores, discoloration and aging spots can all be a thing of the past, now.
How the Primer works on the skin
The makeup primer is mainly made up of silicone, wax and polymers. It easily glides over the skin without forming a visible layer. It is free of oil and alcohol and it does not make the skin oily or excessively dry. It usually has a high mineral content which makes it very easy to apply. These mineral ingredients in the primer, gel with the makeup, giving it longevity. It stops the makeup from creasing in the case of eye-shadows, lipsticks and foundation. The makeup primers are generally enriched with SPF and vitamin E that moisturize the skin and prepare the skin for the application of makeup. Due to these ingredients the makeup primer becomes gel-like, which is great for complete coverage even with very small amount. The silicone and the vitamins cover the imperfections like pores and make the skin ready for the base and foundation.
There are different makeup primers for different parts of the face. For instance, there is a foundation primer which is used just for the foundation or there is a lipstick foundation that is meant for the lips. It makes the makeup last longer and does not let the makeup smudge. It also prevents from fine lines and creases appearing on the make up in case of a lipstick and eye-shadow.
The work of the makeup primer is to prepare the skin for painting. It is a rather new cosmetic into the regular market as a lot of common people do not know about how to use the primer and its benefits. It is a multi function product- it lessens the appearance of unwanted pores, smoothens and evens the skin tone, helps in controlling extra shine and oiliness on the face and more importantly, the makeup primer helps in the makeup lasting longer.
The makeup primer is a light-weight formula which is oil-free. The gel based product guards the skin against inflammation and redness that occurs due to the makeup and hydrates the skin.
How to apply makeup primer:
- Always cleanse and moisturise your skin before applying any makeup.
- Pick a colour of the makeup primer that would be closest to the colour of the foundation you would use.
- Always apply the primer on clean and moisturised skin to get the desired effect.
- Take a small amount of the primer and apply with a wet sponge over the skin.
- Apply dabs on the T-zone first.
- Spread evenly on the skin without leaving out areas.
- Primer needs a little time to some time to set, hence apply foundation only after 5-10 minutes.
- As far as possible, select a makeup primer with added Vitamin E and sunscreen which protect your face from the harmful rays and the makeup, and keeps your skin nourished and protected.
- If you are using the spray on primer, spray a little extra on the forehead and chin, as make up wears off from these areas quickly and also because excess oil accumulates around these problem areas.
- Men can use the makeup primer as a conditioner or aftershave to keep the skin healthy.
The benefits of applying a makeup Primer
- It evens out the skin and creates a smooth base for the makeup to be applied on.
- It allows your makeup foundation to stay longer.
- The primer fills on the lines and creases on the face.
- It also evens out the skin discoloration and skin tone.
- It hides all the scars and imperfections on the skin.
- The makeup primer texturizes the skin- hydrates the skin and gives it moisture if the skin too dry. Or if the skin is too oily then it reduces the oil and the shine from the face.
- It nourishes the skin with the vitamins and SPF protects the skin from the harmful UV rays.
- The makeup primer also creates the perfect base for the makeup.
- It does not clog the pores with sealing them. It still lets the skin breathe, which would not be possible if the foundation was applied directly on the skin.
- The primer also does not let the skin get inflammation.
Not all makeup primers suit the eyes, as the skin around the eyes is very delicate. Pick a primer that is made especially for the eye makeup.
Choosing the tint of the makeup primer to be used as the foundation base is very important. Also you must choose the right kind of makeup primer for the type of skin you have- there are different primers for dry and oily skins. Keep these things in mind and you might never have to face a bad skin day again in your life. You may also choose the colour less and the odour-less makeup primers that just buffer your skin without adding colour, and just make it look flawless.
There have been no regrets or a known drawback, in using a makeup primer, as it does not contain harmful chemicals and it help the skin for the better. Though if you are suffering from any skin allergies or if you have some sort of a contact dermatitis, the best would be to not use a makeup primer as it may further the allergy and may cause harmful effects.
There are several brands that are known for their makeup primers like Clarins, SheSieDo and Laura Mercier. Try one of these and there will be no looking back from this miraculous product.