Nobody likes hair loss. But the fact remains that we all suffer hair loss to some degree as a natural part of the hair’s growth process. But some people have much worse hair loss than others to the point where it leads to extensive thinning and even balding. In some cases, like if it is genetic, hair loss cannot be helped. But there are some hair loss prevention methods which can help you gain control over falling hair and rein in the rate of hair loss.
Hair loss prevention will only work if you can focus on the cause of your hair loss. If you do not know why you suffer from hair loss or what kind of hair loss problem you have, you will not be able to find a suitable hair loss prevention plan that works for you. So the first thing you have to do is figure out the hair loss causes that apply to you. Are you stressed out? Are you on medication that has hair loss as one of its side effects? Do you have an unhealthy diet? Do you smoke? These are just a handful of the hair loss causes that you should look into so that you can hone in on a hair loss prevention method that works on the root of the problem rather than just the symptoms of the problem.
Hair Loss Prevention Methods
Many people are looking for hair loss prevention ideas that actually work. Fortunately, there are several hair loss prevention methods to choose from since this is a problem that has plagued men and women for generations.
Hair loss prevention can be done through four main ways:
- Natural hair loss prevention which includes changing your lifestyle to promote better hair growth
- Hair loss prevention with the use of products that are specifically made for hair loss prevention
- Hair loss prevention medication
- Modern surgeries for hair loss prevention
Let’s take a closer look at the hair loss prevention ideas and techniques that are incorporated in each of these categories.
Natural Hair Loss Prevention
Lifestyle changes can greatly contribute to hair loss prevention. Your hair is a reflection of your health. So if you are not in good health – as is the case with most of us in the modern world – then you may suffer from hair loss which no number of hair loss prevention products will rectify.
- Stress is one of the foremost causes of hair loss. So if you are mentally stressed out, then your first step in hair loss prevention will be to learn to better manage your stress or reduce the frequency with which you indulge in activities that are stressful for you.
- Get regular checkups to ensure that you are healthy and your organs are working as they should. There are several health problems like diabetes, thyroid problems and anemia that have hair loss as one of the symptoms. Your hair loss prevention plan should include treating these diseases and preventing them from recurring.
- Lack of nutrition causes hair loss too. If you think you are eating healthy and you still suffer from hair loss, then you need to re-think your eating patterns. See a nutritionist or get a couple of good books about nutrition to ensure that you are giving your body everything that it needs to function optimally. We’ll look into hair loss prevention foods in a bit to give you head start. You can also start taking vitamin and mineral supplements to make up for the nutrition that you do not get from your food intake.
- Don’t go on crash diets. They cause more damage to skin and hair than you think.
- Quit smoking.
- If you do recreational drugs, then hair loss will be the least of your problems the longer you do them. If you are serious about hair loss prevention, then you need to avoid drug use altogether.
- It’s not just the recreational drugs that are bad for you. Pharmaceutical drugs which are supposed to heal us can often have unpleasant side effects like hair loss. Speak to your doctor about the side effects of any medication that you need to be on and limit your use of over-the-counter medication too.
- Sleep eight hours a night. When you sleep, your body has time to take care of itself more efficiently. This is why you wake up rejuvenated because the body does a maintenance session each night and you are as good as new the next morning. When you do not get enough sleep, the body does not get a chance to rejuvenate, so when you wake up in the morning it is still sluggish and will only have the energy and resources to give to essential functions while non-essential functions will be put on the back burner. In case you haven’t guessed already, the health of the hair is indeed a non-essential function for you body. So ensure your full eight hours every single night. It’s one of the simplest hair loss prevention methods there is.
So the first step in any hair loss prevention plan is to take stock of your lifestyle so as to pinpoint and eliminate those behaviors and habits that are detrimental to good health. Depending on your commitment and dedication to maintaining a healthy lifestyle, it could take anywhere from a few months to a couple of years for you to be able to see that the hair loss prevention through lifestyle changes is actually working. The fact that it takes so long to see results is why people do not want to give this hair loss prevention tool a go. Who wants to wait in a world where everything else gets done within minutes?
Hair Loss Prevention : Foods
OK, first off, there are no magic hair loss prevention foods which are going to eliminate all your hair loss troubles. Food is only one part of your hair loss prevention plan so do not expect miracles if you are not taking any other hair loss prevention steps.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are great hair loss prevention foods because they aid in skin and follicle regeneration. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in sea food like salmon and tuna.
- Nuts and seeds are super-foods that are not only hair loss prevention foods but will do wonders for your skin and overall health as well.
- Eggs are a fantastic source of proteins which are necessary for hair loss prevention.
- Chicken and turkey are other sources of protein that will aid in your hair loss prevention efforts.
- All dark green veggies are very high in nutrition and a must on any hair loss prevention food list.
- Tofu is a vegetarian source of protein that is also very high in iron, both of which are integral components of any hair loss prevention diet plan.
- Chickpeas are another vegetarian source of protein and folate, which are both excellent for hair.
Hair Loss Prevention : Hair Care
Our busy, busy lives give us no time to take care of our hair in the right manner. We’re always on the lookout for shampoos and sprays and conditioners and whatnot that will take care of our hair for us so we don’t have to. With a few tweaks in how you take care of your hair, you can begin on your hair loss prevention program immediately.
- Oil your hair. This is a simple hair loss prevention method that is quite effective. If you don’t like the idea of leaving the oil in your hair too long, just leave it in an hour before you wash it.
- Washing you hair too often can also be one of the hair loss causes that you are not aware of, especially since most shampoos today contain a load of harmful chemicals. Now we’re not saying you shouldn’t wash your hair but you can reduce the number of times you wash it. Washing every alternate day is best. And learn to choose shampoos that are made from natural ingredients and have not been tested on animals. If a product needs to be tested on animals in the first place, it implies that there is something in the product that can be potentially harmful to a human being.
- Your hair-styling products have tons of chemicals that damage your hair and make them brittle, thus making it more likely that you will suffer from hair loss. If you use a lot of hair products, there will be a chemical buildup in your hair that is not visible to the naked eye but which you will start to realize does indeed exist when your hair starts to fall. Here’s something simple you can do to reduce the chemical buildup in your hair. Mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and pour this on your hair after shampooing and conditioning; leave on for a minute or two, then rinse. The active ingredients in the apple cider vinegar will slowly reduce the chemical buildup if employed regularly.
- Keep blow drying to a minimum. Let your hair dry naturally whenever possible.
- Also do not straighten or curl your hair too often. The pulling that is a part of the straightening and curling process can contribute to hair loss.
- Avoid very tight ponytails, tight hats, and scrunchies or elastic bands that are made from materials that get stuck in your hair.
Hair Loss Prevention : Products
If you enter the term “hair loss prevention” in any search engine, a majority of the results will lead you to hair loss prevention products. There are literally thousands of such hair loss prevention products on the market. Some of them are completely useless, preying only on the insecurities of people suffering from hair loss. Some hair loss prevention methods actually work, but the degree to which they are effective is often disputed as it may differ from person to person. Then there are some truly genuine hair loss prevention products that will work on everyone who use them but these can be expensive and not within the common man’s reach. With quality hair loss prevention products, you can expect to see results within 6 to 8 months.
It is not a good idea to rely wholly on hair loss prevention products though. These may work for the time being but once you stop using them your hair loss problems will return. So your hair loss prevention products should be used in addition to other hair loss prevention methods that will go about permanently curing you of your hair loss problems.
Hair Loss Prevention : Medication
There are a couple of main hair loss prevention medications that are commonly prescribed. One is propecia which helps your hair grow faster. And the other is rogain which revives the follicles thus allowing hair to get thicker over time.
Hair Loss Prevention : Surgeries
Yes, you read right. There is indeed hair loss prevention surgeries today that will help your hair grow back and prevent further hair loss. There are a few different kinds of hair loss prevention surgery methods.
- Getting a hair transplant is one of the more popular hair loss prevention techniques. Incisions are made on the scalp and hair grafts are inserted. This is one of the permanent methods of hair loss prevention and if done right, the hair that grows from these grafts will not fall off.
- Laser hair restoration surgery will lead to effective hair loss prevention and help your hair to grow thicker and stronger.
Although these are both outpatient procedures and are considered quite routine, you should treat them with the same seriousness as any other surgery. Talk to your doctor about the risks involved before going for these hair loss prevention methods.
Hair loss prevention is not easy. Hair loss itself is a trying and embarrassing experience and the hair loss prevention methods can actually frustrate you because most of them take time to show results. But just keep at whatever hair loss prevention methods you have chosen to employ and with patience and time your hair will return in all its former glory.