The recently held Wills India Fashion week Autumn Winter 2013 actually showcased a trend which is perfect for Holi. Dazed and confused? Don’t be – hear me out! At the Masaba Gupta for Satya Paul Show WIFW Fall-Winter 2013, she not only sent the models down the runway in quirky lipstick prints but the two tone lip color of the models was something to look out for too.
Dual Lip Color Trend 2013 for Holi
It has been seen on International runways too before and is definitely a colorful beauty trend that you could carry off this Holi. At the Masaba Gupta show the model wore a French rose color on the top lip and a tangerine on the lower lip. It is a classic color combination that really worked well with the theme of the show.
But I answer the question today on how to sport this trend fresh off the ramp for the coming festival of colors.
Choosing the Color Combination
Dual Lip Color Trend for Holi
If this step is done right, consider half the battle won. Follow the below pointers to choose your lipsticks.
- The two colors should ideally be from the same family or share similar undertones. For example, mauve is a cool color and red is warm hence the undertones do not match and they would look weird together (unless you are channeling lady gaga or Nicki Minaj and the like!)
- Some classic combinations are pink and tangerine, pale pink and coral, mauve and plum, shocking pink and dark magenta, deep carmine and red.
- You could also play with finish of the two lips, along with the two tone color. A matt upper lip and a high gloss lower lip looks exceedingly chic.
- Try the two colors on the back of your hand first, to see if they look balanced and harmonious together. The tonal difference should be enough so that it should be noticeable but not so much that it creates a contrast on the lips.
Dual Lip Color Trend for Holi 2013
- Now that the color selection is done, the first step is to moisturize your lips well.
- If your lips are naturally dark in color and do not show the color of the lipstick well, apply a lip primer before or a concelear.
- If required, outline with a lip liner closest matching the lighter color of the lipsticks. This lasts the lipstick longer and defines a shape for lips too.
- In most cases, the lighter color is advised to be applied on the top but you can experiment to see what works for your lips the best.
- Using a flat brush apply the light color on the upper lip seamlessly.
- Clean your brush and apply the second darker color on your lower lip.
- Whatever happens DO NOT rub your lips together as it will obviously mix the two colors. But since it is a common habbit for everyone, pay special attention to fight this urge.
- If you are doing the difference in texture too, then apply a high gloss with a brush on the lower lip.
- Blot the lips with a tissue to avoid further mixing of the colors. Keep a tissue between your lips and blot on both sides.
Tips for the rest of the face
- Since it is Holi, apply the base makeup as usual. It will be a barrier between your skin and the colors.
- Cream based and water proof makeup is an obvious choice.
- Go easy on the eyes with this trend. But the winged eye waterproof liner on the eye lid is a great compliment for your two tone lips. Apply a very light or no kohl on the lower lash line for this.
The two-tone lip can be varied in a few ways if you want. Going further on the same principle you can:
- Apply the lighter color in the middle of both your lips and the darker color on the outer or vice versa. For this look be sure to merge the two colors well as it should appear like a gradation and not a half and half lip color.
- Follow the upper lip lower lip technique and give a gold stain in the centre of your lips. For spring, strained lips are a hot trend. Glamorize it up by mixing the two. For the gold stain you can also use a cream based eye shadow.
Hopefully this trend will protect your lips and go amazingly well with the jazzy and kaleidoscopic mood of the season.
Holi Hairstyle : Side Braided Bob with DIY colored Bobby Pins
So I have recently got my tresses chopped off into a bob and even though short hair is great, there […]
Holi Special – The Right Makeup & Accessories for Holi
The Holi dream is to wear an all white attire and be smeared in colors right. If you are a […]
Holi Dressing – Colorful Ways to Wear White
Doesn’t it feel like a ritual on its own to wear white on Holi? Yes of course your dear clothes […]
The plethora of colors on Holi can sure get inspiring. Wearing white attire is great, but colored accessories and colored […]
Holi, the festival of colors is an occasion that is enjoyed by everyone in India. Vibrant hues fill the […]
Indian Photo Agency