Eyeliner is indeed one of the most important cosmetic essentials that must find be given an important place in your prizely owned vanity. In fact, the location of this important cosmetic must be extremely approachable, so much so, that it is easy for you to locate and use while traveling or simply at the time of giving a little re-touch minutes before your meeting. The experts have justly rated eyeliner as an absolute essential for its amazing dramatic and enlivening transformation it renders to your eyes.
The right smear of this important cosmetic can accentuate and well define your eyes. On the other hand, a wrong, smudged stroke over the eye lash may render a weird look and make you the center of attraction for all the wrong reasons. Therefore, getting the right look is simply a matter of stroke! Whether you want to sport a soft / subtle look or a dramatic appeal, it is the art of the strokes that really matter the most.
Here are some techniques and basic steps on how to apply eyeliner. Nevertheless the type of eyeliner; gel, pencil or kohl, note down these basic essentials that work well with the application of all kinds of eyeliners.
This step is common to most of the above mentioned eyeliners. This step includes basics like choosing the right color, making the right choice of the kind of look you want to bear, preparation of the eye liner and its proper maintenance for longer usage.
Choosing the right color- Although black is traditionally the color used for eyeliners, through this guideline on how to apply eyeliners we try to explain you on several other options in color that are also available. Colors like plum, bronzes and shades of brown are today considered as other alternatives to the traditional black color. These colors work wonders for those who have dark as well as light colored eyes. However, those blessed with green and blue eyes can experiment further with dramatic colors like charcoals and silver.
Consider your look- Before you begin to apply eyeliner, think of the look you want to bear. Generally, pencil eyeliners render soft and subtle look with a thin stroke while liquid eye liners may be used to create thick strokes for dramatic look.
Prepare the eyeliner- Most of the guides on how to apply eyeliner teach essentially lay stress on this step, “ the preparation of the eyeliner”. In the step, one must sharpen the blunt point, in case of pencil eyeliner and kohl eyeliner and shake the bottle well if using liquid eyeliner.
How to apply liquid eyeliner
As suggested by most of the guides on how to apply eyeliner, it is recommended to perform the same with the hand which you are most comfortable using.
- To apply eyeliner to your right eye, close the eye and pull its outer corner with the index finger of your left hand. While you stretch the eye, use your right hand to start smearing the stroke from the inner corner of the eye.
- You may proceed by smearing one thin line at one time staring from the inner corner to the outer corner. Or, if you novice user then you may apply eyeliner in form of shorter strokes starting from the middle and then towards the outer corner.
- For darker effect, dab the applicator or create second line using the above mentioned way. Depending on the kind of look you want, start smearing the liquid eyeliner from the inner corner towards the outer corner of the eye.
- To apply eyeliner to the bottom of then eyes, pull the eyes from the bottom with the help of your left index finger. Starting from the inner corner proceed towards the outer corner in one stroke or shorter strokes, depending on your capacity.
- Repeat the above mentioned steps for the left eye as well.
How to apply gel eyeliner
The application of gel eyeliner is considerably easy considering its smooth and creamy usage. This kind of eyeliner is available in a small pot.
- Semi- close the eye, dip the angled brush or a pointed kohl pencil into the creamy pot.
- Apply the brush/ pencil in form of strokes starting from the middle of the eye lid towards the outer corner.
- Then dip the brush / pencil, if required into the pot and apply over the inner corner of the eye.
- To apply eyeliner on the lower lid, pull the eye with the index finger and apply the brush / pencil in form of short strokes towards the inner corner.
How to apply pencil eyeliner
- Hold the pencil eyeliner in the hand that you are most comfortable with.
- Close one eye and try keeping it closed until you are done with it. Draw a thin and firm line with the help of the eyeliner as close to your eye lash as possible.
- Novice users may do the same in form of short strokes starting from the middle to the outer corner of the eye.
- When you apply eyeliner, make sure to smear a thin line at the inner corner and a thick line at the outer corner.
- If you want to learn how to apply eyeliner for a thicker and dramatic look, read further. Once you are done with the first line of the eyeliner, immediately smudge it with either of your index finger. This smudges and spreads out the liner giving your eyes a darker and dramatic appeal.
- Repeat the above mentioned steps to apply eyeliner in the other eye.
How to apply Kohl eyeliner
This eyeliner, as known to all, is used generally for getting a dramatic and cat like appeal. The steps to apply eyeliner are similar to the steps involved in the usage of any kohl.
- Close one eye and stretch it from its outer corner.
- Apply eyeliner starting from the middle of eye towards the outer corner.
- Then fill up the inner corner in form of a thin liner.
- To apply eyeliner at the lower lid, pull the eye from its lower end and apply the same in form of short strokes.
- Repeat the process on the second eye.
These were some of the most important guides on how to apply eyeliner!