The Nolcha Fashion in New York has been a great platform for independent designers around the globe with a focus on ethical and eco-conscious designs. For the Spring Summer 2013 edition, Priti by Design showcased her collection with a focus on sustainable constructions and multifunctionality. The garments had detachable parts, so that a basic black dress could be converted to an attention grabbing pop colored dress. Two extremes met in Priti Bali’s designs.
The hair the design presentation seemed to be conveying a similar undertone. The tailored pieces were offset by big voluminous curly hair, wrapped around with a braid. Interesting combination and it is achievable at home! Though not without investing some time, but it would worth every minute.
Hairstyle DIY – Big Curly updo with a wraparound – Priti by Design Presentation
The Volumizing Blow Dry
- After washing your hair, apply volumizing mousse or root volumizing spray. The hair should still be damp and with a wide tooth comb you can spread the product throughout the length.
- Blow dry them with your head upside down to pump up the volume.
- Massage the roots with fingers while drying and also remember to scrunch your hair.
- Do not dry completely to avoid frizz. Let them air-dry afterwards.
- Curl the tresses
- Tie up your hair in a mini bun while leaving an all around section. You want to be curling the bottom layer first.
- Take 1” section from the bottom layer and wrap around a curling iron leaving a few inches from the roots. Since your curls do not need to be precise and well defined, do not hold for long.
- Take the next 1” section from the layer and repeat. Vary the time and the amount of rounds you wrap onto the curling iron. This way you would achieve casual curls like the ones at Priti’s show.
- After finishing the layer flick them with your fingers from under the layer, for more volume.
- Untie the bun, leave the next layer and tie the rest of the hair again.
- Repeat the steps until you reach the middle layer of hair. Here you need to take a section and regularly braid it. Make sure the braid is long enough to wrap around the head. Leave this one uncurled and finish the rest of the layers.
- Flip your hair upside down again and run fingers through your curls to mess them around.
- At this point, tease the hair too in order to achieve the most volume and messy texture.
- Take the braid first and pin it at the front of your head for now, so that it does not interfere with the bun.
- Hold your hair up like you are preparing to tie a pony tail at one side.
- Wrap this around once or twice (clockwise or anti-clockwise depending on the length of the hair) such that the ends of the hair face upwards and towards the side.
- Use Hair pins and bobby pins to hold them in place. If that does not seem enough to hold, a rubber band or a clutcher, which can hide inside the volume of the updo can work too.
- Take the braid and warp it along the head with the updo and use a bobby pin to hide it’s end inside the volume.
- Spray a medium-hold hair spray to finish the hairstyle.
Hairstyle DIY – Big Curly updo with a wraparound Braid
The big hair trend can works wonders with a structured ensemble. Reduce the volume a notch and you could also carry this look during the day. If your hair is very smooth, the look will last lesser time and with more product in the hair but for girls with regular wavy hair – the volume and the curls should come easier and stay longer.