You must have learn about various geometrical shapes and size that things belong to, like a ball is round, a box is square and a room is rectangular. But ladies there don’t be surprised to know that there are various shapes in which you can categorize your particular body type.
How much important is it to know about your body shape? The answer is: as important as you’re looking gorgeous and beautiful is. Infact, for that head turning look you have to know your body shape first and then dress accordingly. Normally, we try to keep in accordance with the measurements of our body. But the measurement is never static, it keeps on changing but the body shape and type remains the same. Even if you gain some extra pounds of weight, the weight to going to get distributed in the same proportion throughout your body so as to let the body shape /type remain the same. So body weight has very less to do with your body shape.
Once you know your body shape, you can dress around the positive attributes of your physical structure to highlight it. And for the flaws, dress so as to hide them by playing with colors, stripes, accessories etc. To appear in proportion you may at times need to add some curves and at other times you may need to create dimensions as well.
Women Body Shapes
Women body shape
Women’s body can be broadly classified into four general shapes:
- The Rectangle / Lymphatic / Banana body shape
- The Triangle / Thyroid / Pear body shape
- The Tulip or Inverted Triangle/ Android / Apple body shape
- The Hour Glass/ Gynaeoid body shape
The Rectangle/ lymphatic/Banana Body shape
Your body is rectangular if it is more or less straight- up and down, like a ruler. For you the measurement for shoulders and hips remain almost the same. The waist also falls in line with the shoulder and hips. This body shape usually offers women longer legs to flaunt or say expose!!
The statistics for your body shape remains similar to that of the hour-glass body shape except for the curves that remain missing for your rectangle body shape. Waist is the determining feature that adds curves by differentiating the upper body frame from the lower body frame. Waist-line is more defined for an hourglass body frame while the waist falls in same ratio with the hips and shoulders for the Rectangle body shape.
Dressing Tips for a rectangular body shape:
- If you want, you can create some curves by accentuating the waist. Wearing shoulder pads can add some dimensions to your upper body frame.
Triangle/Thyroid/Pear Body shape
You must be wondering what a geometrical shape like triangle has to do with a women’s body. Well, if you are narrow at the top and wide at the bottom, then this triangle shape becomes the identity of your body shape. You have full bottom, heavy thighs and your hips are wider than the waist and shoulders, of course. Also, the upper half is proportionate and the torso and rib-cage is slim.
Dressing Tips for triangle body shape:
- Creating an illusion of a well-proportioned body structure is not a big issue for this body shape. Layering at the top or adding volumes of ruffles, frills etc helps. An interplay of solid dark color at the bottom and light color at the top may help you appear more proportionate.
The inverted triangle/Android/Apple body shape
Wondering what this Inverted Triangle is? Well, inverted triangle is also a body shape. You have an inverted triangle shape body if you are heavy at the top and narrow at the bottom. Even the thighs and hips are proportionally smaller when compared to the bust-size and shoulders. Your waist-line is average and less defined, your legs slimmer and bottom flatter.
Dressing tips for inverted triangle/Android/Apple body shape
- Wearing clothes with some design features at the bottom like a chain, ruffles, tiers etc, takes away the attention from the heavy bust and shoulder area creating an illusion of wider hips.
The hourglass/ Gynaeoid body shape
Are you all curves and playful like the stream or the swift brooks. Well, then you’re the lucky one to be endowed with a hourglass/gynaeoid body shape with breasts and hips in proportion and balance. Your shoulders are in right proportion with the hips as well. The measurement for the bust and hips is almost the same. And above all you have a well defined and slim waistline that accentuates hips and busts.
Dressing tips for hourglass body shape
- An hourglass body shape is considered an ideal body-shape and almost all kind of clothing suits this body shape. Choose clothes that accentuates your waist.
Every woman is special and beautiful in her own way and every body shape has its own significance. Stay stylish.