Laser hair removal is a scientific procedure that projects an intense beam of rays on the body parts so as to remove the unwanted hair. According to experts, in the process, the laser beams are made to reach those hairy regions of the body that the subject wants to get rid of. The beam reaches the individual hair follicle of the chosen body area and stops/ inhibits its growth. The hair removal treatment by laser is popular among people with light colored skin and dark hair. Going by the experts’ say, laser hair removal literally slows down the speed of the growth of the hair, however, does not inhibit the growth permanently.
The science behind laser hair removal
Hair removal by laser beam, a process better known as “photoepilation”, in medical terminology, is a well proven method of inhibiting the growth of unwanted hair on the most exposed regions of the body. This latest pain-free technology for hair removal is the result of persistent scientific researches on the benefits and properties of laser beams, years of clinical experiments with the beam and thousands of medical procedures conducted with the beam. The underlining theory behind the success of laser beam behind the removal of unwanted hair is the theory of selective photothermolysis. As per the theory, the laser beam when exposed to kinds of living tissues will result into varied consequences. The results largely depend on the absorption power of the subjected living tissue.
This means that when a beam of laser, with certain wavelength, is exposed to the hairy region of the skin, the result is observed in form of the long term inhibition of the growth of hairy follicles. The melanin pigment present underneath the skin absorbs the laser beam which consequently stops the further growth of the hair follicles. The result of this action is nearly permanent inhibition of the hair.
Treatment areas of laser hair removal technology
The hair removal on and around the pubic area is indeed one of the most sought after treatments today. The bikini area is known as for the most occurring folliculate, infections and inflammation. Therefore, removal of the unwanted hair follicles by razors or hair removal creams in this sensitive area may aggravate chances of lesions, itch and unwanted infections. Fortunately, this scientific method of pain-free hair removal has proven to be a boon for eliminating the growth of hair in this region. The laser hair removal in the bikini region also cuts down the chances of inflammation or darkening of the skin.
Growth of unwanted hair on the upper lip, facial region and chin may be a cause of embarrassment for many. Experts advice to analyze the cause of the growth of these unwanted hair before opting the laser method of their elimination. Those experiencing unexpected growth of hair on the face due to hormonal abnormalities must consult a doctor before getting rid of them.
In case, the hair growth is not due to abnormalities in the hormones, it is better to choose the laser beam method so as to get rid of them efficiently and in a pain-free manner. Methods like tweezing or plucking can cause lesions and inflammation.
Laser hair removal method is the most trusted ways to get rid of the growth of dark and thick hair under the arms. In this method, individual pulse of the beam targets each hair follicle and inhibits its growth. As experts say, the method essentially inhibits the further development of the growth cycle of each follicle and prevents it from appearing into strands. The procedure for the removal of underarms hair is known to be the fastest and most effective measures to get rid of unwanted hair in this region.
The growth of the hair on the back can be a big aesthetic or beauty issue for both men and women. Accumulation of sweat and exposure to sun rays can cause lesions, inflammation and infections of sorts on the hair follicles at the back. The discomfort may further aggravate in the progression of warm and moist weather. The growth of hair in this region can be sparse, mild or dense, depending upon the number of hair follicles present. Nevertheless the growth, the hair removal method with laser proves to be most effective and pain-free.
Other areas of treatment with laser beam include chest, arms and abdominal hair.
Pros and cons of laser hair removal
- Statistics have proven that around 65-90 % of the targeted hair undergo permanent growth inhibitions.
- The hair removal by laser beams proves to be effective for getting rid of the ingrown hair as well.
- The method is the fastest, most effective and pain free means of eliminating the unwanted hair. The method does not cause any inflammation, lesions or darkening of the skin.
- The treatment is mostly carried out in recognized clinics and conducted by qualified cosmetic nurses.
- Some laser hair removal treatments can cause stinging sensation and in some cases, pain, depending on the area chosen for the treatment.
- Swelling and unusual tenderness of the skin are some of the most probable side effects of the procedure. This side effect is likely to persist and remain visible for at least week following the procedure.
- In extreme cases with unmanageable hair growth, the exposure of the laser beam may cause permanent darkening or discoloration of the area. Other than discoloration, effects like slight pigmentation, blistering and scarring may be observed as the skin observes the laser beam.
- Changes observed in the texture of the hair grown after the treatment is also a minor side effect of the procedure.
There is no doubt that laser hair removal technology has proven to be the best for the elimination of the unwanted hair, the subject may be required to follow certain precautionary measures to avoid incurring other skin damages. Precautions like avoiding waxing, bleaching and tanning on the subjected areas must be religiously followed so as to prevent further darkening or tendering of the skin.