Strapless dress is one of the most worn and patronized red carpet dresses. There is not enough that can be said about the strapless dresses. They are simply stunning, sexy and sultry. Strapless dresses are very versatile, depending on the style of the dress it could be classy, cute chic or even crass. These dresses are body flattering and just gorgeous. Strapless dresses may have different hemlines. From corset dresses to mid length to trailed wedding gowns- they come in shapes and sizes.
These, figure flaunting dresses show off your collar bones in, just, the perfect way. Though, it is best to wear one of these gorgeous numbers if you have a toned torso. If you really want to wear them and you are not confident about it, the best would be to hit the gym a while before you have to wear one of these very sexy numbers.
There are certain things you should keep in mind that will make you a strapless dress diva~
- The fit of the dress is very important. The dress should be well fitted around the bust and should not keep slipping, that kills the look. It should be loose around the hips and thighs; also try the dress on check if you can walk around in it and sit down in it. Sometimes in order to get a perfect fit women tend to buy very tight fitting dresses which tend to be too tight on the seams while sitting down. That looks very tacky and must be checked. A proper fitted dress would grip the bust and not reveal too much cleavage.
- A proper fitted strapless dress that is infused would hold an hourglass figure even when it is on a hanger. It should be designed in such a way that it should fall on the curves of the body and show off the figure. The strapless dress should reinforce the silhouette of the body.
- Your undergarments – brassiere and panties– play a very important role in how your dress falls on you. Seams from the undergarment spoil the look of the dress. Buy the right underwear. Even if your dress provides you ample support, wear a bra. It helps the dress fit better and there are no chances of the dress slipping off or over-exposing. Choose from the many strapless brassieres that are there in the market, choose one with smooth cups. Embellishments and lace on the bra spoil the look and the fall of the dress. Also for panties, looks for once that do not show the panty-line from underneath the dress.
- Choose a style of the dress that enhances your look. Choose from range of empire waistlines, pleated, flowing, trailed, minis and many others depending on what glamorizes your figure.
- Do not overdo the look by over accessorizing. Use very minimalistic style along with this very feminine and elegant garment.
Strapless dresses for your body shape
Since the strapless dresses have a structured body by themselves they could flatter almost any figure. They bring a shape to the silhouette and class to the appearance if worn properly.
To wear these body defining dresses you may have to keep some things in mind to glamorize your look.
- For women with a small bust it is easier to carry of the strapless dress as there is less to watch out for. You do not need to keep worrying about slippage or over-exposing.
- If you have very broad shoulders try and wear a shawl or a shrug with your dress as the dress garners too much attention to your shoulders otherwise.Wear a dress with a fancy or embellished bosom as it takes draws attention away from the shoulders and draw it towards the otherwise small bust. Also you could wear an empire waist-line dress which is perfect for your body type.
- Opt for a dress with a knee length hemline with a little gathers, pleats or fluff towards the bottom to accentuate the lower bodice.
- If you have a fuller bust you can choose a strapless dress with a sweet heart shaped neckline as it poses for a better hold and a beautiful cleavage. This upward curve on the neckline will bring just the right amount of attention to your body.
- Let the strapless dress be fitted at the bust to give you a better hold. Just like while choosing a bra, you need to choose the perfect bust size for the strapless dress too.
- Let the hemline of the strapless dress hang below your knees to give you silhouette a balance.
- If you have a large figure, stick to dark monotones which will give you illusion of a slimmer silhouette. Also look for a dress with detailing on the waistline like pleats or gathers that will balance the dress and take the attention away from the problem areas. There are strapless dresses available with inbuilt boning and wiring to give you the desired shape. It helps in attaining the hourglass figure. You may also wear shaping corsets under the dress to give your waist a petit look. Keep the hemline below your knees and avid very short dresses if you are not comfortable with showing your thighs. The dresses for fuller bodies are made to accentuate the figure. They are tailored and may have embellishments on them to suit this body shape.
- For the women who already have an hour-glass figure this the strapless dress just reinforces the curves. These dresses are very figure flattering for women who already have a curvaceous body. Mini strapless dresses and bubble strapless dresses look very beautiful during the day with women who have very tones bodies.
Accessorise the strapless dress
The strapless is revealing and elegant. There is a lot of skin showing in the strapless dress- the shoulders, the arms, the neck and cleavage. Keep the look simple when it comes to accessorising. Do not over do with the accessories.
- Go with a simple string of pearls or a necklace and a pair of sparkling string danglers. Both of these demand attention to your face. Along with the attention these accessorise also add grace to the costume and complete the look.
- You can choose a diamond cuff for the wrist for a fancier outlook or not wear anything at all.
- With the ‘oh-so-elegant ankle length strapless dress you can wear peep toes or stilettos for the evening look strappy sandals with embellishments and details also work well for r the evening look.
- For daywear with shorter hemlines opt for flat pumps or kitten heels. They make the dress look very cute and chic. They also give a young look to the dress. A little heel always adds elegance and gives you a good posture.
- Also keep in mind the occasion to where you are wearing the strapless dress. If it is a conservative event you could put a shawl over your shoulders to cover up a little bit and to look appropriate. Wrap a matching beautiful scarf around and you are ready to be out there looking your elegant best. If you don’t want a stole or a shawl there is the very graceful cardigans that are evergreen in the fashion department. This completes the look and saves you from the cold.
- Glam-up the strapless dress by wearing a shining brooch on it at the waistline with a little gathers or at the bust where there is detailing.
Hair and makeup
Do your hair and makeup according to the time, the place and the occasion.
For the day-time: wear your hair in a pony tail or just let leave your hair untied for the girly look. Choose light or nude shades for makeup. Avoid putting on very dark makeup during the day as it tends to give you a garish look. Stick to light shades and clean skin.
For the night-time: wear your hair in a fancy do. Choose an elaborate bun and wear dark makeup. Use eye-shadow that matches the dress and highlight your eyes. The strapless dress focuses attention on the face so keep the skin clean and use shimmer to give it a glow.
Soft curls complement the strapless dress whether in a pony tail or unties.
Types of strapless dresses
The strapless mini dress: this type of a dress is sure to make you the centre of attention. They are very gorgeous if worn properly. It is fashion statement most Hollywood beauties like to make at least once. Some strapless dresses are short in font and have a trail at the back. These mostly wedding dresses or red carpet dresses. They are very flamboyant and attention grabbing and have a very intriguing look.
Strapless wedding dresses: the strapless wedding dresses are very popular. Women want to look the best on their wedding day. And what could be a better choice than a strapless dress in silk or satin with a trail.
The off shoulder strapless dress: this is a semi strapless dress. It does have straps but they hang in the shoulders. These look very good on women with broad shoulders. They enhance the cleavage and give a feminity to the garment. They are very elegant and graceful.
Choose from the vast range of these beautiful, figure enhancing dresses to steal the show at any event.
Things to keep in mind while wearing the strapless dress
- Look for strapless dress with a good fit. Even if the dress is very cute if it is ill fitted and gives you ‘armpit fat’ it is no-go. Also if it is loose at bust and you have to constantly pull it up it’ll spoil the look of the dress.
- You must feel comfortable wearing the dress. Only when the wearer feels confident wearing a garment does it look nice.
- Balance the dress out. Due to the snug fit of the dress at the bust you must balance out the lower half. Wear a length that makes you look good. Do not wear a mini dress just because you like it. Look at yourself in the mirror; take a friend’s opinion on how it looks.
- Always check for slippage. Wardrobe malfunctions are only meant for the silver screen, for everyday wear it is not a very appealing concept.
For the perfect look get the right dress to fit you perfectly. The strapless dress is classic; it is timeless. Learn and master the style of wearing the strapless dress and it is sure to become a patent in your fashion statement. These dresses that have been around for years and you too are sure to get hooked on to them once you get the style right. Go and be the centre of attention and thrive on the classic style of these dresses.
Image: Shutterstock, P R Photos