Acne being one of the most common skin ailments affecting millions of people all over the world has several genres of treatments available including the contemporary chemical based formulations and the traditional natural acne treatment methods. While the modern chemical based products claim quick results, they are often fraught with the inherent dangers of subsequent side effects on the skin. The traditional methods that rely on natural and organic cure while being time consuming offer a more effective and permanent solution to the problem. In order to understand the reasons behind the effectiveness of these natural means it is imperative to analyse the types and causes of acne.
Types of Acne Affecting the Skin
Acne can be broadly classified into non inflammatory and inflammatory varieties which affect the human skin. The non inflammatory are less severe in nature and are usually seen as whiteheads or blackheads which generally release their content on the surface and heal on their own unless tampered with by picking with dirty nails. The inflammatory type of acne is more problematic with associated pain and irritation. The papule or fistula variants of this category are the ones in which the white blood cells are seen on the surface that burst along with puss either naturally or when pressure is applied on them. These varieties are commonly referred as zits or pimples. The nodules and cysts are formed when large pus filled lesions occur inside visible inflamed bumps on the skin. Millia is yet another type of acne that manifests as small white bumps on the surface of the skin.
Identifying the Root causes of Acne
The primary cause of acne is the clogging of surface pores of the skin due to excessive accumulation of body oil or cosmetic products. Sebum the natural oil produced by the skin to carry away the dead cells to the surface at times sticks with the cells and the hair follicles to clog the pores. This clogging results in a bacterial infection which subsequently gives rise to a swelling that transforms into a pimple with passage of time. The triggering mechanism for this situation is the excess production of a hormone called the androgen which causes rapid growth of the oil glands resulting in an increased production of sebum that facilitates the clogging of the skin pores. Certain types of cosmetics and medicines also aggravate the situation. In many cases there are hereditary factors which induce a higher rate of androgen release into the body. Addressing this root cause of hormonal imbalance is the basis of all methods of natural acne treatment so as to heal the pimples and simultaneously prevent recurrence.
Options of Natural Acne Treatment
Holistic acne treatment solutions combine various methods that reduce the severity of the zits while ensuring that the body’s hormonal balance is restored to eliminate the root cause of the problem. This multi pronged approach ensures that an effective system is put in place which will prevent reappearance of acne symptoms. The various options that are available for natural acne treatment are listed below.
- Acne Treatment Diet: Consuming plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables that contain abundant anti oxidants, ensures that the hormonal balance is restored at the earliest. Increasing the daily intake of water and reducing sugar consumption are equally essential measures in this process. Other vital ingredients of such diets include food that is rich in Vitamins A, B, B12, B5, B6 and E. Food supplement containing essential fatty acids and minerals such as zinc and selenium are extremely effective towards hormonal balance.
- Homeopathic Means: This line of medicine deals with environmental factors like exposure to pollution and stress and also focuses on the genetic issue to provide a holistic cure. Such medicines generally comprise of natural elements such as calendula, graphite, sulphur, silica, hepar sulfuricum and kali brichomicum. The amazing results of this seemingly unscientific approach have made it one of the most preferred means of natural acne treatment in recent times.
- Chinese Herbal Methods: These methods are based on the assumption that acne is caused due to the accumulation of heat in the lungs and stomach and additionally concentrates on the changes in disposition and emotional status of post puberty females. There are a host of herbs which are prescribed in these formulations with the aim of eliminating the accumulated heat from the body.
- Ayurvedic Treatment: Ayurveda believes that improper cleansing of the blood is the primary causative agent for acne. Thus it recommends intake of tablets prepared from a variety of herbs and natural spices to improve the cleansing of blood in the circulatory system. Facial massage with herbal oil containing traditionally used natural products such as laksha, mayulunga and madhuka along with face packs made from masoora and kaliyaka are believed to do wonders in reducing the visible symptoms of the ailment.
Home Remedies for Natural Acne Treatment
There are several easily available natural products which can be used at homes for providing a safe and effective cure to this problem. Some of the most commonly based home based formulations for acne treatment are discussed here.
- Orange Peel Paste: Grinding orange peel into a paste and applying it on the pimples for 15 minutes and then washing it off will reduce their severity in a few hours time.
- Mint Juice: Overnight application of a layer of mint juice extracted by grinding the leaves will show drastic results by the morning.
- Tooth Paste: Applying a little tooth paste over the pimples will suck out the moisture from within and result in the dehydrated pimples withering and falling off subsequently.
- Organic Juices: Grinding and extracting juices from vegetables like cucumber and fruits such as papaya and using it for face wash has amazing effect on the severity of the pimples.
- Organic Powders: Powders made from ground almonds, cumin seeds, cinnamon and fenugreek seeds when mixed with water and applied over the affected areas of the skin are known to produce great results within a couple of hours.
- Sandalwood: Powder of sandalwood mixed with rose water or un boiled milk when applied directly over the pimples can show drastic improvement within a few hours. It also helps in reducing the inflammation of the pimples.
- Rosewater Cleansing: Lemon juice mixed with rosewater forms an excellent cleansing agent that can be applied with a cotton ball all over the face to arrest the growth and spread of pimples and zits.
- Yoghurt: A mixture of fresh yoghurt with ground oatmeal or nutmeg seeds and a bit of lemon juice is a superior combination to tackle acne.
- Honey Mask: Keeping a mask of raw honey on the face and removing it with lukewarm water after about ten minutes ensures that the adhesive properties of the syrup pull out all the accumulated dirt, oil and dead cells leaving the pores clear to breathe properly. Additionally the antioxidants contained in honey regenerate skin cells and thereby help in the acne treatment.
- Tea Tree Oil: Due to its great anti bacterial properties the tea tree oil is hugely effective in reducing the inflammation by treating the infection. In fact this natural product has been one the earliest means of natural acne treatment in many cultures.
There is a world of benefits in employing a natural acne treatment as compared to the chemically rich formulations. The most significant advantage in these kinds of acne treatment is that the chances of side effects on the skin are literally eliminated. They are extremely effective in the long run as they aim to address the root cause rather than just curing the pimples. Such cures prevent the recurrence of the problem. Additionally these methods of acne treatment are inexpensive and require ingredients that are commonly available in most households. Due to the plethora of benefits being derived, these natural acne treatment methods are becoming increasingly popular among people across the globe as a means of permanent cure to this common yet frustrating skin ailment.