Skin rashes are a kind of skin disorder which may manifest by changing the color, appearance and texture of the skin. Significantly, rashes on the skin are the most common form of skin disorders which may occur due to numerous reasons. In most of the cases, the skin rashes are not worth dreading as they are not dangerous normally, however, in extreme cases, may be life-threatening. These rashes may be found in all the parts of the body, especially, on the mouth, near the lips, around the eyes, around the anus, near the vagina sometimes at the tip of the penis.
Causes of skin rashes
Contrary to the popular notion, skin rashes may not appear on the skin by the establishment of the mere contact with an irritant. However, one is liable to observe the progression of these lesions only after the development of an allergic reaction due to the contact with the allergen. However, in such cases when the allergic reaction is due to the contact with an allergen, the skin rashes are not really a cause of worry. These lesions evade naturally or on the application of a soother within a few minutes.
Some of the most common recognized skin irritants are
- The venom/ poison of some poisonous plants
- Detergents, soaps, perfumes, shampoos, lotions or cosmetics
- Certain fabric as well as artificial jewelry
- New or untouched toys, appliances or other objects
Another potent cause for the emergence of skin rashes is the progression of certain viral infections, especially, fungal infections, herpes zoster, yeast infections like candida albicans, unwanted bacterial infestations caused by sexual transmissions and impetigo. Further, other than these, as per experts, the reason for the occurrence of skin rashes can be indicative of the progression of severe illnesses like kidney disease, liver disease and sorts of cancer.
The condition better known as atopic dermatitis contributes a lot towards the development of skin rashes. People suffering from this skin disorder experience rashes in prominent scaly, itchy and red pattern.
The condition is a severe skin disorder and manifests in the form of red and scaly lesions on the skin. In extreme cases, the person may experience these lesions inside the fingernails as well.
This is a terrible skin condition which leads to the development of painful blisters on the skin. The condition is triggered by the attack of a virus which is also believed to cause chicken pox. Other than the above predominant causes, skin rashes are common aftermaths of illnesses like measles, chicken pox, scarlet fever roseola to name a few.
Insect stings or bites
Allergic reactions due to insect bites may also lead towards the development of skin rashes.
Symptoms of skin rashes
The symptoms of skin rashes vary from one person to another. In adults, rashes on the skin mostly occur in areas like elbows, hands and in the bending areas, most likely, back of the knees. Among children these lesions of the skin are observed on the scalp, knees, neck and face. These rashes on the skin may typically look like:
- Redness on the skin
- Development of scaly and dry patches along with crusted skin that tends to become leathery over the time
- Development of small and fluid filled blisters that might just pop out the liquid when blasted
- Infection around the areas of the skin which is broken
- Development of acne especially pimples, whiteheads, blackheads, pustules, skin cysts
- Itchiness on the skin accompanied by red colored lesions
Treatment of skin rashes
Most of the rashes are thankfully not as dangerous to require intensive medical attention. However, in case the rashes have affected the infectious region on the skin, certain medical interventions may be requisite. It is observed that in common cases, many the redness and scaly lesions due to the emergence of rashes evade on their own naturally after some time.
In case of severe rashes, nevertheless the reason, one may buy over the counter or non-prescription drugs from the drug stores. These medicines include anti-itch cream which are rich in itch soothing ingredients like methanol and camphor. Benadryl is another commonly used medication which brings about immediate relief from the inflamed lesions caused by skin rashes.
Further, both capsule and cream form of antihistamines may also be immediately applied over the rashes. Examples of these medicines include diphenhydramine, loratadine, chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton), Claritin, and cetirizine.
A lot many times people resort to the simple application of moisturizing creams on the rashes to sooth the lesion immediately.
Home care for skin rashes
Homecare methods, better known as the alternative treatment methods can work wonders towards pacifying forms of skin rashes with immediate effect. Note some of the home skin care methods that have proven extremely effective for relieving rashes on the skin.
- Avoid scrubbing or harsh massaging the area around the skin rashes
- Avoid the use of soap on the area of the lesion until the rashes have naturally relieved
- Do not use cosmetics or chemicals laden creams on the area as doing the same may cause further reaction on the sensitive skin and thus aggravate the skin lesion
- Always use warm water on the lesion and pat dry to wipe the moisture
- Expose the affected area to air as much as possible. Doing this speeds up the treatment speed.
- Try using herbs like calamine, oak oil, sumac and more on the affected region.
- Forms of eczema, a kind of skin rash are often treated with the application of cortisone cream.
- Ayurvedic medicines like Ayuderme is a well known tried and tested medication for relieving these lesions naturally. The herbal ingredients of the medication when applied on the skin permeate deep and soothe the cause of skin lesions permanently. The relief may not be immediate with the usage of this natural method, however, the treatment is bound to bring permanent relief from the present bouts of lesions.
Other than the above treatments, the regular cleansing and timely detoxification of the skin is one of the most effective means of avoiding skin rashes.