Continuing with the messy hairstyles that we have been reviewing in the last few posts, we come now to slick back messy curls which we saw and fell in love with at the Cynthia Rowley SS 2012 collection presentation during the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in September.
Slicked back messy curls look cool and chic. They lend an air of effortless beauty to any ensemble.
How To Create Slicked Back Messy Curls
This is one of the easier hairstyles to create. Always prep your hair by shampooing, conditioning, blow drying and combing. This is standard prep before embarking on any hairstyle how-to adventure – from the simplest dos to the most intricate ones. Once that is done, we can begin creating the slick back messy curls look.
- Mist on volumizing spray to give your hair some volume, and to create that messy texture.
- The look works best when the hair is shiny and has enough separation for a messier look. You can achieve this by applying serum all over your hair.
- In order for the curls to look natural, they must vary in size and texture. Use a curler with a number of barrel sizes to create your curls. By doing this, you achieve a more natural, effortless look.
- Next, use generous quantities of thick curl defining gel or cream to the roots until you have an almost greasy texture. This gives you the casual, slept-in look that this hairstyle tries to achieve.
- Complete your slicked back messy curls hairstyle with some shine spray.
Who Should Wear Slicked Back Messy Curls
Slicked back hair draws a lot of attention to the shape of your face. Slicked back messy curls look best on women with angular or pointy faces, and proportionate faces. Women with rectangular-shaped faces should avoid any kind of slicked-back hairstyle.
When to Wear Slicked Back Messy Curls
Slicked back messy curls are feminine, but very laid back. This hairstyle is for those times when you want to portray that you are so confident in your beauty that you can just get out of bed and still look fabulous. So where you wear this hairstyle depends on where you want to show off that attitude.
But don’t reserve this for your jeans and T-shirts only. You’d be surprised at how amazing this hairstyle will look even with your couture outfits.