Dimple piercing is the latest fad of the buzz town! It is hard to find a single person now whose body is not decked with piercing. After the popular and most tried out regions like nose and ear lobes, tongue, dimple, eyebrows and even navels are the hot spots to reach for piercing.
What is Dimple Piercing?
Piercing is basically the puncture of the desired body part with the help of a designated needle. Dimple piercing is typically a form of body piercing wherein the jewelry is to be placed is penetrated and well placed into the facial tissues of the cheeks. In this kind of piercing, it is important to have a symmetrical placement of the jewelry on the both the two dimples. Dimple piercing brings the cheek area into public attraction even if they do not have dimples. As the jewelry is pierced, a mild nerve damage occurs which leads to development of man-made dimples on both the two cheeks.
Kinds of Dimple Piercing Jewelry
Barbells are most appropriate for tongue and dimple piercing. As the name says, this piece of jewelry is straight with rings on either side.
A labret stud is close to barbell jewelry with the only difference that one of the sides has a flat disc and the other has a bead.
Size of the Jewelry
The size of the jewelry must be large enough so as to provide enough space to the cheek tissues to swell and expand after piercing. Bars used for dimple piercing usually have a flat end so that they don’t hurt the teeth or the gums.
The Right Material for the Jewelry
The most common materials used for making jewelry for dimple piercing are pure gold, silver, stainless steel, tungsten and titanium.
How to Prepare oneself for Dimple Piercing
- The procedure of dimple piercing must always begin with proper cleansing of the hands of both the specialist as well as the subject with an effective anti-bacterial liquid.
- Prepare a mixture of salted water by adding one teaspoon of salt in eight ounces of water much before the beginning of the dimple piercing procedure.
- Keep a clean cotton ball soaked into the saline solution so as to make it ready for application as soon as the piercing is over.
- Choose an appropriate area for air drying the pierced region much in advance to the beginning of the piercing process.
How is Dimple Piercing Done?
Dimple piercing is performed by highly trained and specialized persons. The subject is asked to follow all the rules pertaining to the hygiene of the cheeks before undergoing the piercing.
- The area which has to be pierced, in this case, the dimples, must be cleansed and properly washed with an anti-bacterial soap so as to eliminate all the unwanted microorganisms.
- The needle which has to be used for piercing undergoes a slight preparation. It is thoroughly cleansed with anti-bacterial solution and made sure that it is sharp enough to pierce the cheeks without causing much harm to the subject.
- The area is delicately punctured with the needle. In the mean time, the jewelry which has to be pierced is also thoroughly sterilized with an anti-bacterial solution.
- The jewelry is immediately placed into the hole.
- The used needle is then disposed off in a special container to refrain it from further use.
- The punctured area of the skin is then treated with a potent anti-bacterial solution.
Before Taking the plunge of Body Piercing
It is observed that in some salons, kids below the age of 18 years are not welcomed for dimple piercing for the fear of incurring unwanted infections. However, if you are below 18 and really eager to get dimple piercing, you will have to carry a consent letter from your parents. Subjects may also be guided about the entire procedure of piercing, the common risks and the ways to combat them.
Health Risks Associated with Dimple Piercing
Permanent scarring on the dimple area is one of the most common after-effects of dimple piercing. Further, there is a high possibility of incurring gum infections if necessary hygiene precautions are not followed both before and after the piercing. Probability of several oral infections due to the rupture of saliva ducts inside the cheeks is also high. This condition should be taken seriously and must be reported to the doctor. Simply removing the jewelry will do no good. A rare complication can be the damage of nerve roots and veins in the cheeks. Besides above, some of the most common risks of dimple piercing include migration of the pierced area and slight headache.
Cheek Piercing Migration
Many people, after undergoing the dimple piercing process, develop a bad habit of fiddling with or playing with the jewelry. This results into the migration of the pierced area wherein the pierced spots gets drifted to some other location, pulling the jewelry along.
Healing Dimple Piercing
The pierced dimples may take a span of 2-3 months to heal only if sufficient precautionary and treatment steps are followed. On the other hand, lack of proper care may cause further bacterial infections.
The healing process of the pierced dimples usually involves avoiding injuries of sorts on the area and keeping the area hygienic. It is recommended to clean the area with saline or salted solution which can be easily prepared at home.
Saline water soaks
Cleaning the pierced area with the salty solution at frequent intervals keeps it away from bacteria and dirt and hence protects it from infections. To prepare the salt solution, one teaspoon of salt can be added to around 8 ounces of water. A cotton pad or bud can be soaked and applied to the pierced dimples.
Changing anti-bacterial soaps
In case you develop mild irritation or rashes on the pierced dimples after the usage of certain soap, you must immediately change and use a different one. This is done to avoid causing serious infections to the area.
Nevertheless how chic dimple piercing is, it is not ridden-off from health risks and infections. This is the reason why it is imperative to follow all the above mentioned safety and preventive measures to avoid unnecessary infections.
Dimple Piercing / Cheek Piercing Pictures