It is no news that braided updos are ruling this season; be it celebrities on the red carpet or fashionistas on the street, everyone is donning their own version. The good thing about braided updos is exactly that, the various versions possible and of course the appealing intricacy. But the seemingly complex varieties are always easier on time and effort, opposite to their perception. Hence I feel the braided updos indeed are for everyone.
They can range from casual to dressy, and today we teach how to do the latter one. We came across this rendition at the Anne Barge Bridal show during the Bridal Fashion Week in New York City held in April. It takes a slightly messy bun and crosses it over with the intriguing braid – a lovely combination indeed.
DIY Double Braided Bun for Weddings
You will need
- Hair elastic (Preferably invisible – either transparent or matching your hair color)
- Bobby Pins and Hair Pins
- Fine tooth comb
- Hair Spray
Difficulty Level: Medium
Time: 10-20 min (Depending on your skill)
Hairstyle How To: Double Braided Bun for Wedding hairstyle
- Detangle your hair first using a comb.
- Side Part your hair, resulting in the majority of hair volume on one side (choose right or left)
- Leaving an approximately 3-4 inch section of hair from the crown, tie the rest of the hair in a side ponytail at the nape of the neck using a hair elastic.
- Separate the loose section of hair into two, part and let them fall on opposite sides to braid them later.
- Now for adding intricacy, you will need to braid the ponytail near the base. A fishtail braid is a great choice. In case you want to save on time, you can just twist it instead.
- To start the fishtail braid, separate the ponytail in two halves.
- Take a small section from under/behind the left half and take it over to the right (From the top)
- Similarly take a small section from underneath the right half and cross it over to the left.
- Small sections would ensure intricacy, and you can repeat the steps to get approximately 2” braided area.
- Hold it tight and tease the rest of the ponytail with a fine tooth comb. Better the teasing, better the bun.
- Twist the ponytail in a bun around the base. Keep it messy and volumized while doing so. Secure with bobby pins or Hair pins. Alternately you can use a hair elastic too from top to secure the bun.
Double Braided Bun Wedding Hairstyles
- If your bun is towards the right, then take the loose section of hair from the starting steps and make a basic 3-strand braid.
- To do so, further divide the section in 3 equal parts. To braid take the right section and bring it over so that it becomes the new middle section. This way the center section has now become the right strand.
- Then take the left strand and cross over the center section. This makes the left the new center and the center the new left.
- Continue to braid. Towards the end if the braid becomes loose, it will serve you well.
- Warp this braid around the bun, in a messy way and secure the end with a bobby pin, hiding it in the bun.
- Now take the other loose section, and part it back on the same side as the bun.
- Braid this section too and secure in the bun, just like above.
- Finish with a hair spray, to keep your updo as-is for longer.
Wedding Hairstyles Double Braided Bun
This hairstyle was discovered at the Bridal Show, as we informed you earlier. It is a clear indication that one of the best occasions for this hairstyle is at a wedding. Either you are a bride or a guest, this is an appropriate hairstyle to consider. You can sport it with a traditional outfit or even a formal gown or dress.
Or if it is a romantic evening out, be sure to try this one out. This highly feminine hairstyle will get you all the compliments you need.