In 1972, Diane von Furstenberg, liberated the women in the form of the Wrap dress. In its original form, the wrap dress has a front closure with a wrapping formed on the either of the dress, and is held together by knotting or buttons. The wrapping gives the dress a wide V-shaped neckline and falls closely around a woman’s curves. A faux wrap dress looks just like the original wrap dress, except that it is pre-fastened with no opening on the front of the dress and has to be slipped on from the top.
The wrap dress has evolved during the years. It can now be seen in a multitude of designs. The lengths and designs are being experimented with everyday. The original form- knee length, long-sleeved, jersey dress- has had a complete make-over over the period of time.
Today the dress is very versatile. The dress has advanced and can be worn in different ways to create various patterns in front. The dress has derivatives in the form of shirts, skirts and ‘angrakha kurtas’ to name a few.
Here are few great pointers to make you flaunt your body in these oomphy dresses:
- If you are not very comfortable with the deep V neckline then you could wear a tank top for a modest outlook.
- These traditional dresses can be teamed with leggings, stockings, trousers or a pair of jeans.
- Do not over stretch the dress by pulling too much, it will stretch the fabric from the back and spoil the look.
- Choose a print or design that has vertical lines which would create an illusion of height. Irrespective of your figure you should avoid horizontal lines on your dresses.
- Big flower prints or bold prints give you a larger silhouette, so stay away from them if you are a plus size.
The wrap dress is a perfect selection for the expecting mummies. This dress is very easy to wear and the jersey fabric is very comfortable. Since it ameliorates your figure for the better it is an ideal choice for the expecting women.
Due to the soft jersey fabric and the flowing form, the wrap sundress, is apt for the summers. It is wearable and very glamorous. The loose fitting and the light-weight material are intended for the warm weather. They keep you cool and still bring out the best in your figure.
The Wrap dress is frequent at the red carpet. Many Hollywood and Bollywood beauties like Angelina Jolie, Beyonce, Victoria Beckham and Shilpa Shetty are often seen sporting a Wrap dress. These dresses exemplify feminity and exude sexiness.
Accessorizing a Wrap dress
- Wear a belt that is fitted well on the waistline. Belts give an edge to the wrap dress; wider belts are a better choice for the look. You can wear a belt even with faux wrap dress; you can wear a belt on the ties.
- For an elegant and sophisticated demeanor wear simple necklaces or pearls. For a classy yet chic look try something bolder like big beaded necklaces or chunky jewelry.
- If you have a wrap dress in a basic solid color, you can accessorize creatively.
- The choice for shoes is very essential for the right look. All footwear goes very well with this number – boots, heels and sandals.
- Throw in a pair of over-sized shades and an haute bag with a pair of wedge heels and you are ready to capture the look.
Wrap Dress for different body shapes
Though a wrap dress exceptionally flatters women with full-bust, it also suits almost all body shapes. The wrapping makes your waist look tiny and camouflages the flaws, giving you a smooth silhouette.
- For the Hour glass figure you need a wrap dress with an accentuated waist line. This highlights the small waist and adds curves to this figure type.
- For the Pear and Apple Shaped figures you should try dresses with an empire waist line with a skirt that flows out from the waist to thin down the hips.
- For the Ruler figures opt for detailing on the top in the form of puffed sleeves or tailoring on the bust and a flowing skirt.
- The wrap dress is a made in such a way that it enhances the bust while flattering the waistline and camouflaging flab or a protruding belly.
- There is an array of dresses to choose from to complement you figure and make you look great. Just some of them being the kimono style, ‘angarkha’ style, mock dresses, dress corsets and silk wraps.
The wrap dress is for the hoi polloi (for the masses). Everybody can wear and look great in it. It is transformable, flirty, looks very simple and can be glamorized by adding a hint of personal style. Every girl should have a Wrap dress in her wardrobe for the time when you need to make an instant impression and cannot figure out what to wear. It is a quick fix solution to all you last minute dressing up worries.
Image: Shutterstock, P R Photos